[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] 20/20 BLINDSIGHT Busser Howell's book about blind artists, storm chasing,

Lisa Yayla Lisa.Yayla at statped.no
Fri Aug 9 08:17:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

Links and articles.

Regards,

Lisa

Design idea
Interactive braille smart phone maps for the visually impaired
Although Blind Maps is only a concept at this stage, it really is a remarkable one. The device, conceived by designers Andrew Spitz, Ruben van der Vleuten and Markus Schmeiduch during a 36 hour project at the Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design, is a handheld interactive smart phone maps accessory made for the visually impaired. Using tactile-sensitive haptic technology, the interface has a perforated braille-like screen with pins which move to show navigation. Constantly receiving information and adapting, Blind Maps warns of changes to the user’s route, responds the user’s progress and gives options for bird’s eye or line view. Very impressive concept, let’s hope it becomes a reality.
http://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/blind-maps?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+itsnicethat%2FSlXC+(It's+Nice+That)

Visually impaired photographer shoots severe storms up close

You can’t help but be in complete awe looking at Terry Rosema’s photostream<http://www.flickr.com/photos/98131983@N07/>. As a storm chaser, Terry witnesses and captures Mother Nature’s fury firsthand: deadly tornadoes, torrential rain, golf ball-sized hail, lightning, etc. His photos are incredible, but what’s even more amazing is that Terry is partially blind.

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2013/08/02/visually-impaired-photographer-shoots-severe-storms-up-close/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Flickrblog+(FlickrBlog)

Terry Rosema

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98131983@N07/

A Nearly Blind 98-Year-Old Man Creates Stunning Digital Magic with MS Paint
by Joseph Clark

Type "MS Paint" into Google. One of the top results should direct you to the eight-minute documentary, The Pixel Painter. The video profiles 98-year-old nearly blind Rocky River artist Hal Lasko, who creates sprawling but finely detailed landscapes and science-fiction images on Microsoft's rudimentary image-creation software.

Last Friday, August 2, the short film passed a million views. Lasko had not been expecting such sudden and widespread attention to his work.

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/a-nearly-blind-98-year-old-man-creates-stunning-digital-magic-with-ms-paint/Content?oid=3625395

http://fox8.com/2013/07/25/legally-blind-man-named-pixel-painter/

http://www.geeksugar.com/Blind-Microsoft-Paint-Artist-31040059

Exhibit inspired by late watercolorist

After he went blind in the last years of his life, watercolorist Henry Fukuhara painted memories of soaring mountains, verdant trees and a desolate prison.

During World War II, Fukuhara and his family were incarcerated at the Manzanar internment camp in California’s Owens Valley, one of 10 relocation centers set up by the federal government after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

http://www.mpacorn.com/news/2013-07-26/On_The_Town/Exhibit_inspired_by_late_watercolorist.html

Artist to auction off signed piece at show; proceeds to go to schools

Artist to auction off signed piece at show; proceeds to go to schools

Coklyat, who teaches art to blind, visually impaired and multiply disabled students, is legally blind herself.

"After I lost my vision, I found a way to convey so much more feeling and emotion in a couple of strokes in a space," Coklyat said. "Now, when I paint, I don't just see with my eyes. I see with my imagination, my heart and with every cell of my body."

More than 30 pieces by Coklyat will be on display in the gallery, where some of her work is currently showing as part of a group exhibit called Childs Play, about the nostalgia, freedom and simplicity of childhood.

Coklyat's solo show opens Tuesday from 7 to 11 p.m. with an opening night benefit auction at LITM, 140 Newark Ave., Jersey City.

The exhibit will run through the end of August.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2013/08/artist_to_auction_off_signed_p.html

Aug. 2-18: ‘Art in Touch’ Exhibit on Town Center Drive

artintouchArt exhibits typically showcase visual components, but the “Art in Touch” traveling exhibit now on display in Santa Clarita features tactile and interactive art that’s meant to be touched.

>From Friday, August 2, through Sunday, August 18,  the exhibit will be open to the public on Town Center Drive in Space 125 during the following times: Fridays from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Saturdays from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Sundays from noon to 6:00 p.m.

“Art in Touch” features 15 works of art and was organized by the Arts Council of Kern. It was recently on display at Taft College and at the Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Bakersfield.  The exhibit was designed to appeal to all ages, with an emphasis on the blind and visually impaired, as pieces were meant to be touched and include artist interviews for an additional audio component of the exhibit.
 http://scvnews.com/2013/08/02/aug-2-18-art-in-touch-exhibit-on-town-center-drive/

Alt-week 7.27.13: The blind pixel-painter, redirecting the sun and Saturn's view of Earth

We were going to tell you about how a team of scientists managed to completely stop light<http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23925-light-completely-stopped-for-a-recordbreaking-minute.html#.UfI5M2Q6WQv> in its tracks for a whole minute. But, then we saw the artwork you see above<http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/07/the-pixel-painter-a-97-year-old-man-who-paints-using-microsoft-paint-from-windows-95/>. What's so special about it? Well, whether it's to your particular taste or not, we think the fact that it's created by 97 year-old Hal Lasko using Paint on Windows 95 makes it at least noteworthy. Oh, and he's legally blind, suffering from wet macular degeneration -- affecting the center of his vision. That's pretty good going. Lasko isn't entirely new to art, though, having created maps during the second world war, before moving on to become a typographer.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/27/alt-week-7-27-13-the-blind-pixel-painter/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

20/20 Blindsight: Powerful New Book Illuminates the Accomplishments & Challenges of Blind Artists

New York City, NY -- (SBWIRE<http://www.sbwire.com/>) -- 07/25/2013 -- An examination of Busser Howell’s work and career depicts a hugely-successful international painter. However, many will be surprised to learn that Howell grew up without ninety eight percent of his vision and lost the remaining two percent at age forty. In his bold and compelling new book, Howell gives the world a glimpse into the unique and vivid world of blind artists, sharing their stories and getting the voice of the blind community heard.

‘20/20 Blindsight’ fuses facets of a memoir, art book and sociological text to illustrate that people see in the same way, through the use of their visual cortex.
http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/2020-blindsight-powerful-new-book-illuminates-the-accomplishments-challenges-of-blind-artists-290394.htm

20/20 BLINDSIGHT<http://2020blindsight.com/>

Busser Howell's book about blind artists

http://2020blindsight.com/

Busser Howell

http://www.busserhowell.com/

Alison Jones