[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Chris Friel photographer,

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Sun Sep 29 08:22:55 UTC 2013

Muskegon native helps create ArtPrize's first blind and deaf friendly
exhibit

Spoken-word storytellers and poets have come together to form what they
are calling the first blind and deaf friendly exhibit at Grand Rapids'
ArtPrize.

The group refers to itself as The Diatribe.

Gregory Foster II, originally from Muskegon, is one of the creators of
this unique exhibit, "Word."

Foster II, who used to deliver the newspaper for the Muskegon Chronicle
when he was younger, also was homecoming king at Muskegon High School.

The exhibit is showing at the B.O.B. in downtown Grand Rapids at 20
Monroe Ave NW starting today, Sept. 18 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The exhibit will then show on Mondays and Wednesdays throughout the
weeks of ArtPrize, Foster said

http://www.mlive.com/artprize/index.ssf/2013/09/muskegon_native_helps_create_artprizes_first_blind_and_deaf_friendly_exhibit.html
Braille
Feeling art: ArtPrize entry designed for the blind
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/269007/14/Feeling-art-ArtPrize-entry-designed-for-the-blind

Heart trouble inspires artist's latest collection, 'Love Lifted Me'

The Willoughby Art Gallery at Clovernook Center for the Blind and
Visually Impaired in North College Hill will host a gallery opening
featuring the work of artist Barbara Petersen, an artist who is visually
impaired, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 4.

'Love Lifted Me' is a collection of acrylic paintings, several large
ceramic pieces and ceramic jewelry. The name is inspired by an old hymn
and represents Petersen's belief that God has lifted her from struggle.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130924/NEWS01/309240060/Heart-trouble-inspires-artist-s-latest-collection-Love-Lifted-Me-

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/06/24/art-from-visually-impaired-is-showcased/

Art From Visually Impaired Is Showcased
An exhibition of art from visually impaired artists is underway in
Philadelphia.

You can view and buy works from more than 40-legally blind adult artists
at the Form in Art exhibition at Wills Eye Institute

Deaf and blind students display artwork at Tohono Chul
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/northwest/deaf-and-blind-students-display-artwork-at-tohono-chul/article_37279268-1206-59a7-b8cf-e34eaa96d7ca.html

Blind Art: An Uncle's Painting For His Nephew Will Make You Cry

This week Redditor unholysh*t <http://www.reddit.com/user/unholyshit>
brought the internet to tears after sharing an artwork made by his
father accompanied by the caption: "My dad painted this for my 7 year
old cousin. The little guy has been blind since birth.
<http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1f7oe1/my_dad_painted_this_for_my_7_year_old_cousin_the/>"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/29/brail-painting-an-uncle-artwork-for-his-blind-nephew-will-make-you-cry-photos_n_3348311.html

Catherine J.H. Miller at Jack London Bar

*CATHERINE J. H. MILLER, "A SOMEWHAT SECRET PLACE: DISABILITY AND ART" *
/6-7 p.m. Tuesday Jack London Bar in the Rialto Poolroom /

Miller, a Portland native and legally blind artist who has spent the
last three years researching ways to make the fine arts more accessible
for people with disabilities, will read from the manuscript of her new book.
http://www.oregonlive.com/art/index.ssf/2013/06/catherine_jh_miller_at_jack_lo.html

Blind artist's vision extends to local scrap metal sites

Rick Crooks' interest in art started innocently enough.

He made his mother a metal sculpture -- a Springer spaniel -- out of
metal coil springs from a car.

Since that day 12 years ago, he has made 1,088 pieces of folk art.

"It's all recycled material," said the owner of Old Man from the Mountain.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/germanvillage/news/2013/05/06/gartenmarkt-jazz-and-juleps-blind-artists-vision-extends-to-local-scrap-metal-sites.html

The Messy Magic of Stephen Lapthisophon, Oak Cliff's Legally Blind
Artist-Professor-Poet
At one point or another, it happens to all of us: We look at art and we
just don't "see it." For Stephen Lapthisophon, artist and art history
professor at the University of Texas at Arlington, it's these moments he
enjoys most.

"There are works of art that I love that I've been looking at for many,
many years and I'm not sure I completely grasp everything that's going
on," Lapthisophon says.

Lapthisophon, who is legally blind, holds court tonight at the Dallas
Contemporary, the second North Texas professor to speak in the gallery's
new DC University lecture series. He talks in a mix of tangents and
circles, making lots of sense and blowing up that sense at the same
time. There's a messiness to it, but if you believe Lapthisophon, we
need more messiness in our lives.

"I think that we return to good and interesting pieces of art because
they baffle us," he says. "We return to things for the mystery of things."

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/mixmaster/2013/03/the_messy_magic_of_stephen_lap.php

Art auctioned sight unseen

We are conditioned not to touch works of art, only to look at them. But
for people who are visually impaired, seeing isn't believing ---
touching and feeling are.

That's the idea behind Art in the Dark, a program of the San Antonio
Lighthouse
<http://www.mysanantonio.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=lifestyle&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22San+Antonio+Lighthouse%22>
for the Blind. The nonprofit has worked with the blind community in San
Antonio for more than 80 years.

At the third Art in the Dark on Thursday at the Witte Museum
<http://www.mysanantonio.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=lifestyle&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Witte+Museum%22>,
47 artists donated pieces to be auctioned sight unseen. The works,
predominantly ceramics, were covered by a cloth for most of the night.
People could only touch the pieces to figure out if they wanted to bid
on them.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/life/article/Art-auctioned-sight-unseen-4601268.php

Designer Creates the World's First Comic for the Blind
http://www.care2.com/causes/designer-creates-the-worlds-first-comic-for-the-blind.html

An Art History & Art Making Course for Blind Adults at the Philadelphia
Museum of Art
http://dsq-sds.org/article/view/3740/3275

chris friel

ABOUT

chris friel is a british colour blind painter who bought a camera in
2006 and has not painted since.
he has been shortlisted for the sunday times landscape photographer of
the year for the last 4 years, and won a judge's choice award in 2011.
his images have been exhibited in the south bank centre, on the santiago
subway in chile, and projected behind the london sinfonietta in the
royal festival hall.

http://www.chrisfriel.co.uk/about#h796c91f4