[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Question about Metamodal graphics

Lisa Yayla Lisa.Yayla at statped.no
Thu Aug 30 13:17:38 UTC 2018

Hi,

It's been awhile since I have posted. Sorry.

I have a question that I have been thinking about for a while and hope to get your thoughts on it.

Many of you, if not all, are perhaps familiar with Professors Pauscual-Leone and Hamilton research on the metamodel organization of the brain.

>From what I understand from it - is that the ability to read tactile graphics (the contours/edges) is already hard wired into the brain- in one particular area. OK - please forgive me a very unsophisticated explanation.

So I got to thinking about the field we are engaged in -and perhaps some of you have thought this too - that what we do is design Metamodal graphics.

So I was thinking that a perhaps more accurate name for  tactile graphics could be Metamodal tactile graphics or just metamodal graphics ... something like that.

The reason I propose this is that it would bring to the forefront this ability that we all have.

Adding a few links:

Lisa

The metamodal organization of the brain<http://tmslab.org/includes/alvaro_3.pdf>

           http://tmslab.org/includes/alvaro_3.pdf

The Plastic Human Brain Cortex<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16022601>

      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16022601

Task Selectivity as a Comprehensive Principle of Brain Organization<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28385460>

      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28385460

Individual Differences in Sensory Substitiution<https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev.neuro.27.070203.144216?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3Dpubmed>

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev.neuro.27.070203.144216?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3Dpubmed

Perspective taking, pictures, and the blind<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2247329>

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2247329

Neural Reoganization following Sensory Loss: The Opportunity of Change<http://www.researchgate.net/publication/40029139_Neural_Reorganization_Following_Sensory_Loss_The_Opportunity_Of_Change>

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/40029139_Neural_Reorganization_Following_Sensory_Loss_The_Opportunity_Of_Change

Functional connectivity of visual cortex in the blind follows retinotopic organization principles<https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/138/6/1679/2847628>

https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/138/6/1679/2847628

Following is a really good book

Making Space How the Brain Know Where Things Are<https://www.amazon.com/Making-Space-Brain-Knows-Things/dp/067486321>

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Space-Brain-Knows-Things/dp/0674863216

This is also a really nice book - perhaps a bit off subject

Reductionism in Art and Brain Science: Bridging the Two Cultures<https://www.amazon.com/Reductionism-Art-Brain-Science-Bridging/dp/0231179626>,

https://www.amazon.com/Reductionism-Art-Brain-Science-Bridging/dp/0231179626

  Daniel Kish's echolocation in action<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xATlyq3uZM4>
          www.youtube.com/watch?v=xATlyq3uZM4