[Artbeyondsightmuseums] Using Voice Labeling Products as Audio Guides in Museums and Galleries

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 14 06:09:51 UTC 2012

Not long ago, I had an insight about the use of audio labeling tools as access guides at museums and galleries.

I read about a museum in the UK that is using one of these units as an access tool.

If you don't know what these voice labelers do, they are pen-sized units that allow a blind/visually impaired person to label things in the home or office. Yet, since the user gets just the pen and a set of labels, there are so many things these tools can be used for.

I'm talking about the Pen Friend, the Touch Memo, and the Franklin Any Book Reader. With these tools, museum or gallery staff can simply record the information right on the unit. If the information needs to be updated or added to, the labels can easily be updated.

Also, this type of audio guide allows a blind visitor to have full access to the information. They need not worry about missing something just because it's not in a guidebook, or because the book requires them to follow a set plan and not deviate from it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.