[Artbeyondsightmuseums] tips on embosser use

Lisa Yayla Lisa.Yayla at statped.no
Wed May 14 12:11:05 UTC 2014

Hi Shirley,

There's two ways to answer that question, and that is yes and yes.

What I mean is there are two ways (very general) to emboss with it.

1. Take the photo and just let it emboss it as is, just send it as is - I mean not adapting the tactile bit. You will end up (or quite often) with a pretty good visual of the photo but the tactile bit, on top of the print of the photo, will often be pretty unrecognizable to the tactile reader. That is the tactile might end up with a lot of "tactile clutter" that gets in the way.

2. Take the photo and have someone adapt the graphic for tactile perusal. And the result will be a pretty good visual of the photo and (hopefully) a pretty understandable tactile graphic over the ink print of the photo. Here the idea is to neaten up the "clutter" that can come about.

In option number two a human does the visual to tactile interpretation and in the first option it is the machine.

But of course there are different approaches. For a scientific diagram one would want the information to come across clearly and therefore the tactile would need more attention. For an art piece there might be a different wish or approach letting the heights of the dots do the describing. But then again one might wish that the visual information comes across clearly in the adaption of the art (then option two).

 I think the second option leads more for the visitor to read the picture on his/her own while with the first option one might need more of a sighted person to help to what the tactile areas represent.

In time, with the advancement of the technology, the programming will do better and better jobs of interpreting.

Now there's probably a third and fourth etc. way to answer your question so these are just general thoughts.  And perhaps I did not even answer your question, if not please say so and I will try again.

All the best,

Lisa