[Artbeyondsightmuseums] Thoughts on Audio Tour Access

Barry Ginley b.ginley at vam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 08:24:15 UTC 2014

Hi Tina

As you have highlighted there are many ways to deliver information and to date I haven't found a system which covers all bases.

Kendra's suggestion, using QR codes has been used in an Australian museum to trigger signed video clips for deaf people and could be beneficial to trigger audios. The Hall of Patriots Place in New England has a multi media guide which sinks with interactives, automatically sinks films with audio descriptions in the auditorium but does not have an audio menu to select the tour and the trigger points around the museum are poorly placed. If the menu and placements could be corrected this would be one of the best guides available.

At the V&A, we are investigating a project Guide Dogs for the Blind are developing, where the visitor downloads an ap and when they come near one of our touch objects the ap triggers an information audio. At present, this is only in the concept stage, I would also like to add in directional information but one step at a time.

We are currently using Pen Friend for visitors who do not have smart phones and we have downloadable MP3s from our web site. The museum does have free wireless which can assist when downloading.

I hope this helps.

Barry