[Artists-making-art] Summer Exhibit Plans

Patricia C. Estes pece03 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 16:47:01 UTC 2012

Debbie, I so get what you mean by "hostile" venues...like being followed around by security in art museums in Maine due to my white cane that I "might poke through a canvas"!! One of those times, we were just trying to earn a Girl Scout Badge for our daughter, who had a larger lesson, instead. And it is for this reason that feeling "excluded" does not feel good, either...as I told Anna, there are many blind artists and photographers in Maine , NH and Vermont...professional and sought after, but work with visual media. To NOT have a place to exhibit as a blind artist at a Federation venue, of all places, just feels...well, not good.
On the other hand, that you came forward and offered a logical and simple (possible) solution to this sticky wicket, is commendable and definitely reasonable and could work.
Perhaps as blind artists working in the visual arts, we could pioneer how to make any exhibit accessible to the blind. How many times do I wish there were more description available for a Wyeth...with a simple raised line drawing to touch!! Excellent. We have had to educate the web masters to program sites for our screen readers to be able to access...just maybe this is the same sort of thing: a description of the image, etc.

thank you,
Patty Estes

Oh! Wouldn't I love to work with the doussants at the Portland Art Museum to develop their labels for their exhibits!! A new job opportunity...plus doodle on the sie, and NOT on their walls, of course.