[AutonomousVehicles] Important Discussion Questions (looking forward to lots of insights)

Cornelius Butler corn at butlernewmedia.com
Tue Dec 14 12:58:21 UTC 2021

Hi Everyone,
I have a discussion question for you. I'm noticing with the monitoring and
research that I do of the autonomous driving industry that a lot of
companies are trending towards and testing robotic delivery. This has major
implications for those of us who are blind and low vision.

How it Works:
You use an app or website to place your order. Currently Domino's and
7-Eleven stores are just two of the companies that are doing this. The
store loads your item into a small device on wheels that often uses the
sidewalk or in some cases the roads to navigate to you. Once it arrives you
have  to physically go outside and open the device to get your order. I do
not see any voice notification or braille on the vehicles that I have been
paying close attention to.

I have not tested the accessibility of the ordering apps yet.

The Two Big Companies in this industry are:

Nuro (they work with Domino's and several other firms):
https://www.nuro.ai/

Serve Robotics (they are working with 7-Eleven Stores):
https://www.serverobotics.com/

Questions For Discussion:

How can we ensure that these companies and others like them include
accessibility features in their products?

What accessibility features would you like these services/products to have?