[Blind-Gov] SCIF Scramble Pad Access Issues

Harry Staley hstaley at nfbtx.org
Sun Jan 28 03:23:18 UTC 2024

Good evening;

I started a job a few weeks ago working as a Senior Software Engineer (Contractor) in a SCIF. Access to the facility requires that I type a pin into a keypad that scrambles the numbers each time that I use my second factor for entry. I have worked in locked down facilities before where a standard Cypher lock utilizing a standard numeric keypad is used tactilely without issue. I have addressed this issue with my supervisor, the branch chief, division chief, and other leaders including security staff who continually present me with roadblocks in discussing solutions to this issue. When I asked if we could “Change the lock” in some way.

I have asked if the scramble function could be disabled in some way or provide me with a predictable pattern so that I could access the pad tactilely. Fortunately I have enough residual vision, but some days it is a bit of a strain to see the numbers on the scramble pad. Additionally this causes a bit of a potential issue with shoulder surfing because it could take me 30 to 45 seconds to see the numbers and type in the pin.

I have consulted the below documentation and am not finding where this scramble functionality is specified in any of the requirements for SCIF construction.

SCIF Construction Specifications
https://www.dni.gov/files/Governance/IC-Tech-Specs-for-Const-and-Mgmt-of-SCIFs-v15.pdf

SCIF Lock Specifications
https://exwc.navfac.navy.mil/Portals/88/Documents/EXWC/DoD_Locks/PDFs/FF-L-2740.pdf

I believe that I have found a lock similar to the one used and the one shown below does not have a static keypad function. That being said I cannot be sure as to the specific Manufacture/Model of scramble pad, but of those that I researched none of them have a way to selectively disable the scramble function.

I have consulted with some Blind contacts that I have at other organizations and none of them have run into this issue. Any thoughts?

I am fully aware that there are antibodies that would say that due to security reasons they are not required to make this accessible, but security can co exist with access-ability, neither is negotiable and both are far more expensive to bolt on after the fact than bake in from the beginning.

Harry Staley