[Blind-international-students] introducing myself and comments on your discussion

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 19:39:56 UTC 2010

  Hi Jim, Yasmin and Anmol,

Anmol, I will ask:
What part of the Nfb philosophy do you find does not fit into the
category of "positive."
In short, which part do you have a difficult time supporting?
We all -- well most of us, have certain things that we are passionate
about within the NFB and some things that we are not as passionate about.
Some of us are passionate about braille! Others are passionate about
independent travel. Others are passionate about the "image of the
blind in public."
I must admit:
There are parts of the philosophy that I support whole-heartedly.
For example: I do believe  that everyone should have a chance to learn
braille as a viable way of communicating.
I believe that blind people should be taught by blind people.
But, (one example of my divergence)  I did hear that in the philosophy
that the NFB is skeptical (and does not care) to work with other
organizations of disabled people.
They say that if they work with other disabled people's organizations,
blind people get  put on the backburner.
I understand this skepticism. But, I would encourage us to still try
to work with other organizations - yet, have our goal firmly planted
in our mind.
So, you might say that I "disagree," with that portion of the philosophy.
But, for me:
I am in the nfb because I want to help blind people achieve their
highest  potential.
I want to show us (I am not so worried about that fickle sighted
public) that We can live the life that we want.
We can be parents.
We can be professionals.
We can go on trips independently.
We can enjoy activities such as sports, games, playing an instrument,
picnics, etc.
We can worship as we choose.
We can go to college.
We can have a career.
We can live fulfilling lives full of all of the events that  are
present in the lives of the sighted.
That is why I am here.

And, maybe that is what we can take to other countries.
Thoughts?????

There are organizations in other countries.
Does the world Blind Union have a listing of these organizations in
each country?
I have found some, but not many.
I thought that one thing that the World Blind Union can do is to
provide an international directory of organizations and services for
the blind.
It would also be nice if they could help with an internet site and
a bit of email.
Yes, I have seen the International Library Service provide a small
list, but it is out of date, I am positive.

Blind corps, well, I will have to google this.
Do they only go to turkey?????

I am sorry to hear about Robert Leslie Newman.
I  always enjoyed the thought provoker and hope that someday, a writer
takes it on.
Jan