[Blind-international-students] introduction

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 23 17:42:26 UTC 2010

Hi, jan ,

         You're a talker too? I love language,  believing the
intention of most in America to Anglicize every foreign word they
should come across  is small minded and does not take into account
the beauty and potentially expressive breadth of other languages. It
threatens to homogenize things more than they already are!
Wanna wrap?
What is your eye condition?
I myself was bienucleated as a result of retinal blastoma at age 18 months.
I live in Berkeley, California and am 26 though my friends and common
law husband are older. I enjoy music and culture from the Boom generation.

Though I am not a Federationist per se, I am familiar with, living in
the very city in which Dr.  TenBroek founded the disability movement
in 1970. I know about how Dr. TenBroek located blind people from
around the area who were disenfranchised and those blind  people,
using a few fundamental principles and methods asserted their
rightful and unprecedented independence.
I believe it important to bare in mind however,  the times in which
all this was taking place for a first time, and know that Dr.
TenBroek conceived of the Federation during a time when things were
tremendously different, and we need not judge the times, honering
them for the miracle that they are.  , Thanks for the warm welcome .