[Blind-international-students] Blind-international-students Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Tue May 4 03:10:51 UTC 2010

Hello.
First of all, let me introduce myself.
My name is Dan Weiner and I live in Florida.
I'm a totally blind guy who has always loved foreign languages and I
originally subscribed to the list hoping I'd meet folks from other
countries. I hesitated to write because the list seemed rather low traffic
and wasn't sure whether there was some protocol about personal notes since
almost all of what I've seen is announcements of some sort--smile.

Well,  my two cents would be this: that if you let yourself be guided by
what your Study Abroad Coordinator says you'll never go anywhere--smile.
I'd say you should find out what countries there are exchanges with from
your college and go for whichever programs you're suited for.
I think if you're a disabled student your college has some obligation to be
of assistance and they can't just get away with saying that "a lot of these
countries don't take care of their blind people".
Hell, you could say that about a lot of colleges here--smile.
Fortunately, we're living in the computer age and a lot of the things you'll
need for your studies can be handled through technology.
As far as any other help you'll need, as the application process continues,
be thinking really hard about what you'd need, help to get around, learn
your way, materials, readers  help with day to day things, etc. so that you
can push for it.

So, that's your assignment...find out what programs they have, talk to
people who've gone, and decide what sounds fascinating.

I've studied abroad and it could be tough, but  it's a great way to learn
about the world and I just wish we had computer-technology when I started
out.
I'm forty, so that's gives you some idea.

Anyway, all of this is meant to encourage you.

I'd love to write to any international students by the way, either here in
the States or in other countries.
My field is languages and linguistics and I'd certainly be happy to hear
from anyone, publicly   or privately:

Email:

dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net

Cordially,