[Blind-international-students] meeting minutes

Philip So pcs2001 at caa.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 1 07:05:28 UTC 2010

Jan, you are assuming that serving people whose vision loss is not
"significant" enough will take away resources from people who are
totally blind.  This is not the case as illustrated below. This is not
a zero-sum game but actually a win-win situation.  Stating in our
mission statement that we only serve people with significant vision
loss may actually hurt the very people we want to serve.

Example:

Suppose our group has $100 to spend. Suppose at a school for the blind
in China there are 100 totally blind students, as well as 100 students
who are studying at this school simply because they lack regular
glasses and therefore cannot read writings on the board or read books.
All 200 students share one computer at school.  If I ask you to
increase the blind students' access to the computer at this school
with your $100, how would you achieve this?

Under the mission of serving only those with "significant" vision
loss, we could only assist the totally blind students.  But $100 can't
even buy us one computer equipped with JAWS.  Therefore, we cannot
improve the situation unless we ask for donation.  Basically we would
not be able to achieve our objective on our own.

But this doesn't have to be the case.  On the other hand, if our
mission does not say "significant" vision loss, then the smart way
would be to spend the $100 to make a huge impact for the totally blind
students by purchasing 100 pairs of glasses, at $1 per pair,  for the
students whose vision loss is not significant.  How does this help the
totally blind students?  With glasses, the students whose vision loss
are not "significant" can now transfer to regular schools, and thus we
have immediately reduced the class size at the school for the blind by
half, immediately doubled the chances a blind student can use the
computer.  You could not have achieved these kinds of results under
the "significant vision loss" mission statement.

If we want our organization to achieve real impactful results, then I
suggest that we take out the word "significant" vision loss from our
draft mission statement.  With limited resources, we need flexibility
in our mission statement to work smart.

What do you think?

Phil