[Blind-international-students] hi all! introducing my self

David Sexton david at rustytelephone.net
Mon May 14 07:37:15 UTC 2012

Hi everyone!

Good to see life on this list!

I am David Sexton now living in Kerala, India, but originally from
California USA.
Also traveled to france, canada and australia.
I came to India to study how to start and run social projects.
I ended up working as the IT manager/computer instructor at the
institute where I studied.
In fact, we're looking for people from india and around the world who
have a dream to create a positive change in their community.

Our next course starts in july
I'll paste the info after my name in case you or someone you know is
interested.
Feel free to write to me, add me to skype, etc.

skype, facebook and twitter: daiverd
msn and email: david at rustytelephone.net
David

Do you need vision to be a visionary?
When I became blind many years ago, I had this dream that one day the
world would not connect blindness automatically with charity.
I wished to be seen as a potential contributor and problem solver.
In our Kanthari Institute we are interested to incubate problem solvers,
leaders for ethical social change.

And we are especially interested in empowering talented, creative and
energetic blind and partially sighted visionaries who come up with
innovative ideas that make the world an equal level playing field for
the blind and the sighted.

In order to reach this goal we have developed a very practical, 7 month
leadership program with a difference; one that is geared specifically
for people with big dreams and passion; people who have overcome
adversity in their lives. people who want to help others in their
struggles, or develop new solutions for our world problems.
We invite participants from all over the world, and with all levels of
education to bring their dreams and motivation;
International experts (catalysts) conduct hands-on, practical workshops
to help bring those dreams to reality.

We are looking for the following categories of change agents:
Red: Advocates
Red kantharis are firey, courageous, and resiliant. They fight for a
world free from discrimination, negative attitudes or harmful norms.
Their goal is to provoke a mind set change in their communities through
advocacy.

Green: Initiators
Kanthari initiators are innovative, persistent and passionate. They
create ethical social change by starting grassroot projects with
innovative approaches. Schools for marginalized, training centers for
the blind, environmental projects are only some of many examples of
initiatives that make the world a better place.

Ivory: Entrepreneurs
Kanthari entrepreneurs are focused, determined and analytic. They use
business as a tool for sustainable social change. The main goal is not
to make profit, but to use business to find ways to create structures
that benefit those who are usually left out.

Yellow: Inventors
Kanthari inventors are logical, technical, and practical. They create
new products, strategies or concepts for social change. They can be
active in the areas of environment, computer technology, accessibility
for people with disabilities, agriculture, education and many more. The
goal of their invention is to improve the living conditions of
marginalized groups or protect the environment.

Purple: Artists
Kanthari artists are creative, spicy, and interested in a major change.
They use their creativity and art as a tool for making a difference.
Musicians, painters, authors, film makers and many more provoke a
positive mind set change through their work.

At Kanthari we don't make a difference between blind and sighted
participants.
Everyone is equally challenged and everyone works hand in hand.
What counts is an ethical attitude towards people, life and work, a lot
of energy and commitment to contribute in ones society and a vision, an
innovative idea how to solve old and new problems. We are looking for
those who have the strength to be forces of good, not victims of
circumstance.

Please apply if you want to realize your own dream for change, and
encourage others to look at our website:http://www.kanthari.org
For those who want to listen to our Kanthari newsletter
http://media.kanthari.org/audio/Hot-Bite/Hot-Bite-March-2012.mp3

Looking forward to hearing from you,
With best regards,

Sabriye Tenberken
Co-Founder Braille Without Borders - Kanthari
PS Please find below the text of the Kanthari brochure:

are you dreaming of social change?
Kanthari
International Institute for
Social Entrepreneurs
and Change-Makers
a small chilli can make a
HUGE Difference!

Vivekanenda Nagar, Vellayani, Nemom P.O.
Trivandrum, 695020 Kerala, India
Phone: +91 471 2395677
Mail: office at iiseconnect.org <mailto:office at iiseconnect.org>
www.kanthari.org <http://www.kanthari.org>
facebook.com/bwbiise

Kanthari in India, offers a 7 month leadership
program for visionaries who have overcome
adversity, and who are keen to drive social
change. This very practical program cultivates
credible, ethical and effective initiators.

Why Kanthari?
Kanthari is one of the spiciest chillies in the
world. It grows wild in the homes of Kerala and
is famous for its medicinal use.
Kanthari thinking is fiery, strong, colourful,
self-seeding and helpful everywhere.
Kanthari action is courageous, innovative and
wide-reaching.

The idea for Kanthari was born in the Tibet autonomous
Region, PR China. There, in 1998,
Sabriye Tenberken (German) and Paul Kronen-
berg (Dutch) set up the first training centre to
empower the blind.

There were many challenges, but one of the
largest was a lack of belief from international
experts. "Stop dreaming! Stay on the ground!"
But, in only 7 years, and against the odds, the
centre had a preparatory school, a Braille Printing
Press, a vocational training farm and a self-
integration programme.

Paul and Sabriye then understood the urgent
need for a unique institute -a "Dream Factory" where passionate people
are encouraged to
dream big -a place where they can develop all
the necessary skills, tools and attitudes to make
their dreams real.

Kanthari is much more than a training center.
It is a spring board for provocative thinkers and
driven doers, for those who want to bring spice
into society!

We are searching for talented people who have
the guts to challenge the status quo and the spirit
to come up with innovative solutions for old and
new problems.

Kanthari dreams of a world-wide community:
Individuals starting programs based on
empowerment, like schools for the blind, or
training centers for the disabled;
Individuals planning environmental projects, or
creating technical innovations;
Individuals changing mind-sets by offering new
ways of thinking and challenging harmful norms.

Kanthari trains participants in public speaking,
finance, innovative project planning, writing
proposals, fundraising and social marketing
campaigns. Participants learn about legal
aspects of starting a project and how to set up
effective and ethical programs. All hands-on,
practical workshops are conducted by international
experts (named "catalysts").

Kanthari fosters participants from all over the
world. Some have university degrees while
others have little to no formal education. Some
are blind or physically disabled, others have
no disabilities at all. Important is a sense of
ownership, motivation, creativity, talent and
passion to make the world a better place and
the strength to be forces of good rather than
victims of circumstance.

Apply now:
www.bwb-iise.org/apply <http://www.bwb-iise.org/apply>

Examples of projects realized by Kanthari graduates:
Tibet - PR China
Kyila
Kiki's Kindergarten
Kyila, a Braille Without Borders student and
IISE graduate (2009) runs the first inclusive
kindergarten on the roof of the world.
www.kikikids.org <http://www.kikikids.org>

Japan
Yoshimi Horiuchi
Always Reading Caravan
Yoshimi runs a mobile library which pro-
motes the joy of reading amongst people in
rural areas of Thailand.
www.alwaysreadingcaravan.org <http://www.alwaysreadingcaravan.org>

Nepal
Khom Raj Sharma
Inclusion Empowerment Center
Khom, a blind Kanthari alumni, is running
a computer training center and a language
school for blind and partially sighted ado-
lescents in Pokhara, Nepal.
www.iecnepal.org.np <http://www.iecnepal.org.np>

--
Anja Pfaffenzeller
Intake and Alumni Coordinator (in training)