[Blind-international-students] The proper introduction to blindness.

Mostafa mostafa.almahdy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 14:17:21 UTC 2013

Hello.

I hope you all are keeping really well.

This is part of my daily writing practice.

Please, feel free to share, agree or disagree.

You may correct my English where that is relevant.

So, to the core of the subject then.

Some of you may have assumed that I am going to write a piece of composition on blindness.

Well, not exactly but, I want to have a sort of a conversation with my friends, in many different parts of the world.

As blind people, we always complain that we are misunderstood by the mainstreamed social arena, and that sighted people are constantly presupposing our inadequacy.

Um, well, that holds to be true to some extent but, it’s not perfectly accurate.

I am surrounded by my private social life, that includes my parents, siblings, and my close friends.

  They all believe I am fully capable of being totally independent.

I have the secondary social level, that includes my acquaintances, and they all think I am just equal to them, in both my rights and duties.

The third and final social level I am surrounded by, is the public class.

People who don’t know me, but they may possibly communicate with me on a regular basis.

Such as, at the workplace, at the Gym, at the Mosque, at the grocery store, or anywhere else.

At this point, we need to develop a mental intellligence.

I go to the Gym here  on almost a daily basis.

Well, I currently resident in Jedah, where I don’t have much friends or family members.

I am surrounded by my neighbors here at the compound, and most of them are not in a regular communication with me.

     But, I really enjoy going to the Gym on a daily basis, where I can exercize and expand my social communication at the same time.

Everyday, I meet with new people, and we variously exchange mass benefits in a friendly way.

Generally speaking, people are interested to learn how a blind person can cope with his demands.

They may curiously ask; How do you use your computer?

How do you follow up the forecast on your cellphone?

How do you determine what the next step is going to be whilst walking around?

I personally think that these questions are representing a tremendous opportunity to significantly educate the masses about blindness.

We as blind people ought to appreciate this attitude, and we should not treat that with skepticism or irrational sensitivity.

To the contrary, we should treat that with much open-mindedness and empathy.

Sometimes, I just feel that some blind people are ashamed to admit they might be in need to assistance before their sighted counterparts.

Well, to appositely speak the truth, yes, we do have to rely on sighted assistance in the case of lacking the sufficient accessibility, whether in the digitalized world, or just in our casual life.

What matters is, that we should not take advantage of their good intentions, to gradually develop a mental laziness.

There where it comes the real catastrophe, when we take advantage of their innocence to assist, to develop the quick excuse attitude.

    But, I shamelessly ask for the sighted help whenever I need it.

For instance, I may want to check the calorie burn rate whilst I jog on the treadmill platform.

I obviously can’t do that on my own, at least for the time being.

Thus, I immediately refuge to the sighted assistance.

    Please, would you mind checking the calorie burn rate for me?

He will probably appreciate to do so.

Well, here I am.

I went out for fun, exercized, and increased my social network.

It is absolutely okay to ask for help.

Conditionally, to not have a way to do this task on your own, and to preserve your dignity, to make sure it’s not jeopardized by any manner.

  Thank you for joining me for this concise essay.

Mostafa.

The only worse thing than being blind, is having sight and no vision.
____