[Blind-international-students] Topics for a career and entrepreneurship panel workshop

Anmol Bhatia anmolpbhatia at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 23:21:19 UTC 2013

Hello Phillip and all,
I ecco Phillip in wishing everyone happy 2013.
I work as a case manager at the Lighthouse for the Blind in Duluth Minnesota and one of my responsibilities is to provide employment readiness training. One of the biggest barriers and I would argue a one of the most significant barrier that one must overcome first before even seeing if they have the qualifications is the poor attitude that sighted people have about blindness. The sighted employers have a big fear of hiring someone who has a vision problem and the biggest fear they have is liability. However, this is where the adjustment to blindness training comes in. If a person who is blind can overcome their blindness and can demenstrate that they are comfertable with it, then their chances of finding employment are much better and they can be their best advocate. Feel free to email me off list if I can be of any help in this topic.

Anmol
I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.
Hellen Keller