[Blind-international-students] information about Afghanistan

Reyazuddin, Yasmin Yasmin.Reyazuddin at montgomerycountymd.gov
Wed Apr 22 20:27:38 UTC 2015

Dear members,
I would like to share some very encouraging news about Afghanistan.
In September of 2013 there was an accident in Afghanistan which left a little girl blind and with no immediate family. She was brought here for treatment. I met the girl and learned about her injuries. The foster family is very supportive of her. We have gathered information and resources about  education of girls in Afghanistan. Because of the wars in Afghanistan there are more girls than boys. Girls are married at a young age and become mothers. When the husbands die they have to take care of young children and so they do not get education.
I am sending two web links for you to assess the situation for yourselves. You are welcome to support any of these causes by spreading the word.
www.afghanruralschools.org<http://www.afghanruralschools.org>
The schools have 600 girls currently enrolled. I met the founder of this school on Sunday.
Qayum and Anna Safi who  presented their innovative ideas running a non-profit for kids in rural  Afghanistan
The second is an article about the blind school in Kabul.
http://www.rferl.org/content/afghan-school-prepares-blind-for-better-life/24711146.html
They need very basic things and I am not sure if they know to teach the children Braille.

Yasmin Reyazuddin
Aging & Disability Services
Montgomery County Government
Department of Health & Human Services
401 Hungerford Drive (3rd floor)
Rockville MD 20850
240-777-0311 (MC311)
240-777-1556 (personal)
240-777-1495 (fax)
office hours 8:30 am 5:00 pm
Languages English, Hindi, Urdu, Braille
This message may contain protected health information or other information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return mail and destroy any copies of this material.
Thank you.