[Blind-international-students] This week on Eyes On Success: Preparing for Vision Loss

blueskies11 blueskies11 at torpey.info
Wed Mar 18 13:36:07 UTC 2015

1512 Preparing for Vision Loss (Mar. 18, 2015)

 Many sighted people have a hard time imagining how they would tackle life
if they couldn't see. Losing your vision, however, doesn't mean the end of
the world. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk about how you can prepare for
eventual vision loss by preparing your home, using adaptive aids, becoming
aware of your other senses, accessible technology and more.

The audio and show notes for this episode can be found at:

www.EyesOnSuccess.net

Also, one of our listeners is currently involved in a study assessing how
visually impaired people make use of specialty apps and how effective these
apps are.  When the study is complete, we intend to highlight his work and
results in a future episode of Eyes On Success.

He asked us to circulate the link to a questionnaire about the "Be My eyes"
app which is currently available on the Apple app store.  If you use this
app, have tried it, or want to try it, your feedback would be greatly
appreciated.  The survey can be found at:

https://surveys.hci.simtech.uni-stuttgart.de/index.php/962739/lang-en

The app is relatively new and makes use of sighted volunteers around the
world to assist blind people remotely.  A more detailed description can be
found in the Apple app store at:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/be-my-eyes-helping-blind-see/id905177575?mt=
8

Thanks for your help.