[Blind-International-Students] Thank you and starting general computer list

Mostafa Almahdy mostafa.almahdy at gmail.com
Fri May 29 20:10:30 UTC 2020

Hello everyone, thank you for decently responding to my inadvertent
post. I came today with the following suggestion. Although this list
is mainly for Jaws, people still would ask about unrelated subjects.
Thence, I thought of developing another list for general computer
questions. I previously encountered couple of maling lists that had
been dedicated to computer discussions. Nonetheless, they no longer
exist, as to my humble knowledge. Blind computer users though
desperately demand to access information that are useful and sometimes
necessary to execute troubleshoot utilities on their own. So for
instance, I recently experienced something intriguing. Yesterday
afternoon, I felt tedious and went to Windows configurations and
played with them. I unnoticeably altered Windows startup to something
called, diagnostic mode. I hence booted my system for this selected
option to take effect, not knowing what that was. I then left my
machine and after awhile, I sat on my laptop again. I pushed the power
button but couldn’t hear anything. I retried multiple times with the
same mysterious result. I felt awkward and took my reticent machine to
my neighbors to see what’s going on. After she loaded the system, she
saw Windows sign coming up, with welcome message. Subsequently, as
soon as the system fully loaded, the screen became dark. I recognised
then, that I changed major settings. I felt phew and calmly returned
home. This morning, I called a sighted friend to come visit me to see
my computer. He came and saw what we went through yesterday. After
Windows is fully loaded, the screen turns dark. I told him to try
running Windows on safe mode, which he did. We got to run utility and
retained Windows to start normally. Ultimately, problem solved. So, I
said to myself, hmm, should have not I done this on my own?
Particularly, that we are in strict lockdown here in Egypt. I am
enormously connived though, to solve my computer problems
independently. I included other friends with their contact information
undisclosed. Shouldn’t we, id est, blind computer users, be able to
access such crucial utilities as Windows safe mode? With such unusual
situation, if you are not environed by competent sighted individuals,
who could help you solve your computer problems, you may end up
leaving your computer dead for awhile. I was lucky today though.
Consequently, I think my suggestion to have a list dedicated to
solving significant computer troubles like the one I experienced
yesterday is absolutely necessary right now. It’s not safe at all, to
visit computer shops. So, as we’re now wholly quarantined and we
couldn’t predict for how long, we may intelligently take advantage of
this situation and set general computer discussion list, to massively
exchange information and expertise and possibly, help those who might
be in need. As we knew well, it’s quite inconvenient for us as blind
people to be stuck and not able to fix such basic thing, especially if
we already have got the know-how. We just lack equitable access. I
admit, that calling my friend to come along was a bit risky. Although
he himself is a doctor and thus, very careful, still that was a bit
speculative. So, I would like us all to see, what could be possibly
done, to serve the largest number of blind computer users worldwide,
so, they may solve their computer based troubles on their own and not
to seek sighted assistance, especially, it’s not safe now to meet
people randomly as such. Thank you for reading, and, sorry for the
lengthy post. Cordially, Mustafa

On 5/29/20, Joan Muir <dmarc-noreply at freelists.org> wrote:
> Hello Tom and Richard.
>
> What stars you are! Jaws is now speaking tab in Word. I hadn't realised
> that
> not saying tab was the default now. I know it stopped saying "alt tab" and
> that suits me fine.
>
> Thank you very much. I'm amazed at the help I get from this list.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Joan.

(Seeking knowledge is compulsory from cratle to grave because it is a
shoreless ocean.)