[Blind-rollers] question about grocery shopping

AgapeDEW at aol.com AgapeDEW at aol.com
Tue Apr 7 23:22:14 UTC 2009

Managing a lot of packages on the transit seemed impossible for me so I use
 my aide service and I go shopping before its her time to be at my house.
She meets me at the store and will take my groceries home.  Since part of
her services include shopping, she is delighted to let me do the actual
shopping  part of the task when I feel up to it.  (I can still see shadows from
left  eye so that helps.)

I have Walmart rows memorized.  I also have the shopping list made on
excel to correspond with the aisles in the store and I say them onto a  small
recorder before I go to store using the Jaws reading program. I use  the
recorder stop/start to go to next item.

 I wish I could take my reacher to get items on top shelves but many
people don't mind helping me reach the top shelf or I can get a clerk.  I  use my
smeller for the produce and touch to be sure of ripe fruit and so I don't
get a rotten bag of potatoes.  Bags that zipper are bigger then the
recycling bags they are selling in store so I bought two of them and they are
somewhat insulated for my refrigerated items.  I have them bag my refrig  items
separate because I always run out of energy when I get  home so I  only put
away what I have to and let the rest go. I buy  once every few weeks using
the aide..and then rest of time I can take  public transit to store for the
little things.  I NEVER go when store is  busy if I can help it because I
have noticed since my vision has gone..my  hearing has gotten better and a lot
of noises bother me...especially crowded  stores.  Hope these ideas are
helpful!!!          deb

In a message dated 4/6/2009 11:50:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time,