[Blind-rollers] power wheelchairs

freakkat81 at comcast.net freakkat81 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 20:01:50 UTC 2009

Hi: My name is Kassie Taylor. I am 27 years old and live in Tuscaloosa, alabama, USA. I know what you are going through can be difficult in deciding whether a power chair or manual one is better for your daughter and getting others to support the decision. I have a mitochondrial disorder. At age 14 I was diagnosed with a rare form of Retinitis Pigmentosa.  I no longer have any useful vision. My energy level varies quite a bit due to my mitochondrial disorder. I have been in a power wheelchair since 2000, and driven it successfully with a cane since 2003.  I think it is important for your daughter to make up her mind what type of wheelchair will work for her. Before I started using a cane, I fell down a flight of stairs one time, and off a curb another. I think if a power chair is best for you there is no reason you could not be safe using a long white cane or a guide dog. I will mention that if you have a large chair it is hard to get into a small bathroom or elevator with the dog and chair. I feel very safe with my chair and cane.  In areas that I travel often, I don't need any help or directions from others. Sincerely, Kassie