[Blind-rollers] Literacy

helene ryles dreamavdb at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 11 19:45:15 UTC 2009

Carol,
I agree that there should be more to be done for blind with Editional
disabilities, but I don't really think anyone really acnoledges us.
I'm Deafblind. I have petit mal epilepsy, thyroid deficency and minor
asperger syndrome. All these disabilities combined make me fuction
less well then I would like but still better then what some people
expect of blind people which it seems is very little. So that's why I
am all in favor of NFB even though I also find tactile pavements very
useful and vibrating traffic signals too (although the NFB are less
aposed to the vibrating signals then the talking ones).

I have met blind people with mental health issues who's blindness is
the least of their problems. I also once massaged an old lady. They
told me she was blind but it very quickly became clear that her
blindness was only the start of her problems. She did not understand
the need to keep still while she was haveing a massage.
I also know a deafblind roller who was denied certain activities that
she would have been capable of just because nobody knew much about
wheelchair bound people.

Helene