[Blind-rollers] power wheelchairs

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 01:01:20 UTC 2009

Hello Diane -- I didn't see anyone replying to your mail, so I'll share a
few thoughts.
First, since everyone is different with respect to degree and combination of
disabilities, coping skills are different for every individual.  I held down
a great job for 12 years after getting out of college, and was legally blind
and used a manual chair -- but I could see enough to know where the hallway
was and generally pick out large objects. I used my cane.  I then had an
accident which took much of my vision, including the ability to read print
on a cctv. This changed my whole way of doing things. I dove into the realm
of screen readers and practiced up on my braille proficiency, which I am
finding a challenge.
Because of this change in my vision and also some intermittant other medical
problems I am on disability right now, but very much wishing I could go back
to work.
Anyway, I still use my manual chair, but travel anywhere I am not familiar
with is rather daunting and I always have someone with me when I leave home.
I have tried a power chair, but after destroying some furniture and scraping
the plaster off some walls, I decided I preferred the manual chair. I did
like the power chair for one feature -- the ability to elevate the seat to
the height of kitchen counters. With the manual chair I have to stand up to
reach anything, and since this is difficult and dangerous for me, I can't
stand long and so leave the kitch chores to family members.

Now as for your daughter, if she has proven that she can get around safely
with the power chair, she needs to offer to demonstrate this to her
prospective employer.  Obviously getting around unfamiliar terrain is
difficult and possibly dangerous. (My former employer was accommodating when
I moved to locations containing open stairways -- the EO/AA office went and
mapped out safe routes that I could take to get places, like the cafeteria,
offices and conference rooms where I needed to go, and of course the
accessible rest rooms. (Actually there was only one accessible restroom in
the whole complex of buildings so I had to watch what I ate if I was going
to be in a different building for a long space of time...))

In short, employment is a 2-way street -- they need to accommodate within
reason, and your daughter needs to say her needs up front and possibly do a
demonstration, such as travelling around with the interviewer.

I hope this jumble of advice/info is helpful. It's not a letter of
recommendation as you asked for, but it is my experience.

I wish you and your daughter all the best of luck!!!
--le