[Blind-rollers] New Member and Question

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 23:22:41 UTC 2010

Greetings Jewel --
Wow! I was out of town when you sent this or I would have responded sooner!
At least it's in the same month...*smile*
The first thing I was going to ask was whether you have MS, but no, you say
that was ruled out.  I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.  I have a
question -- could the chemical burn have something to do with poisoning in
your body? Stuff like that can get into the bloodstream from the skin.  Just
a thought.

But I have another question for you: Was the damage to your eyes only to the
corneas? You still have your eyes, do you not? The reason I ask is because I
just received a forwarded article from a friend about a new synthetic cornea
that obviates the need for a donor for corneal transplants and solves the
rejection problem.  I myself am blind because of a damaged and inoperable
cornea.  When I read that article I felt like jumping up and down and
singing!  The article says that early successes look possitive and that the
corneas will be generally available probably in 5 years.  I guess I can wait
another 5 years...*smile*

Anyway, if anyone wants me to forward the full text of the article, let me
know and I'll grab it.

As to your question about juggling canes and walking, I think you are wise
in trying to remain active.  I have a bone condition that puts me in a
chair.  I used to walk but since I fracture easily I am no longer able to
walk -- that doesn't mean I couldn't take a few steps in a pinch, but it
would be extremely dangerous.  Moreover, even an athlete, if confined to bed
for 6 weeks, will lose 20% of his bone mass.  I have to work all the time to
keep up a tolerable amount of mobility. It's a pain, but hey, I've been
fracture free for several years now and doing well.  I have never been as
active as you say you were when in the army however -- I grew up breaking
bones all the time.
When did you strange symptoms start?

Sorry for all the questions.  You sound like one of those "Mystery
Diagnosis" cases on the Discovery Health channel.

Anyway, good luck to you! and keep on rollin!
--le