[Blind-rollers] seatbelts

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Thu May 13 16:24:43 UTC 2010

It is also our responsibility to ask the driver about the tie downs.  Taking
that responsibility is also part of a first class citizen.  My problem is I
get distracted.  But truly if I tip or did not have the seatbelt on it was
my fault as I never asked nor paid attention to each four point tie down
clamp. I ask they put the seatbelt in my hand as I sometimes feel like I am
being groped.  But with the seatbelt in my hand I can clip the belts and
tighten them myself.

If para transit is not clipping you in safely, then it is your
responsibility to call and tell who it was who did not do there job right.
Offer to go down for the person to practice with you.  Sometimes chairs do
not clip in the same and another piece of equipment needs  ordered.  The
company would not know unless you speak up.  The head of the drivers can put
stickers in the area where your chair is the strongest so your frame wont
get bent. Some systems will give you these soft but strong straps to carry
with you on for securing odder built power chairs.  They look like a foot
round circle. They are soft but very strong to protect your frame.

Drivers have fits trying to fit clamps on power chairs that don't fit well.
They have time constraints and may do a sloppy job.  So again you calling
and going down is extremely important so the system has the right tools on
board to kkeep you safe.

Wheelchair manufacturers have no standards in there designing there
products. Thus we the consumer have il fitting securements, making the
chairs dangerous to us and other passengers.  The transit agency and the
federal government is making wheelchair manufactures step up and be
responsible for having clear securement places.

Make sure also you know the weight of your chair and your own weight.  Some
of the older van lifts out there can't hold more then six hundred pounds.
What is the length and width of your chair, that is also an important piece
of information.  Like I said manufacturers are making huge chairs that wont
fit on any transit bus or van.  We as wise consumers must be aware.  My
friend Char can't ride on the low floor busses with her power chair.  Her
legs are straight out and she is normal height.  So her foot hits the change
box and she can't use these regular low floor busses. So though her power
chair is on the smallish side (wheel base size) how she has her legs makes
it nearly impossible to ride the standard busses in her town.  She has no
choice but to ride para transit or the CIL equipped buss. A man who does not
listen bought through the VA a huge power chair with baskets on the front
and back, horn, just a monstrosity.  Now he is mad that this thing won't fit
on the para transit nor transit busses.  Why the VA did not supervise closer
this purchase is beyond me.  He goes full out down the sidewalk and calls
all of us stupid for not getting out of his way.  Hello I am blind and the
wine of your chair mixed with traffic noise means you watch out for me.  Oh
I just want to put my fist through his face he is so unreasonable and il
mannered.  He makes all of us look great.  So don't ever put yourself down
that you are slow or that you hit things walls etc.  This guy can see and
does not care with a fast power chair.

Warm hugs to the proud blind rollers out there.  Keep on moving forward.

Becky and Jake