[Blind-rollers] Mobility for wheelchair users

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 17:13:39 UTC 2011

Erica, a Hemi chair and I are not sure I am spelling that right is a low
wheelchair.  I am four foot ten. So trying to propel myself in a regular
sized chair had me way forward in the seat with just the tip of my foot
hitting the floor.  This way with the lower chair I can sit back further, my
foot nearly rests flat on the floor.

Let me amend a bit of what I said.  Yes the forty eight inch long cane
worked better then the sixty inch.  But really I needed a longer cane as I
came up to fast on objects to fully stop my momentum.  So please don't rule
out the longer cane as you really might not be safe.  I could have used a
fifty three or fifty five length.  The problem I also had was my husband's
cane was very light and bouncy.  I needed weight on the tip but lighter in
the handle as it was hard on my wrist.  So try out different canes.  In fact
insist on trying different canes and different tips.  My wrist hurt after a
couple blocks.  I am a knitter by training.  That wrist fatigue interfered
with my knitting business.

A roller marshmallow tip was a better choice also, instead of his NFB tip.
The marshmallow tip rolled where my husband's didn't.  Walk down a clear
sidewalk with a few canes.  Try and retry them.  Pick the best few that your
wrist likes, then do obstacle work.  You will then get a better idea of
length and tip you will need.  And sometimes the outside one is different
than the inside one. Also propelling yourself with the foot is hard on the
tendon in the back.  Make sure you are doing exercises and protecting that
tendon. I have partially torn ACLs.  I was worried about hurting them more
so excepted people pushing me.  I learned to tuck my sore foot under the
chair as people are such crappy drivers.

I saw a fellow at a conference a long time ago with a seven foot cane in
front of his power chair.  That just might be perfect to stop him at the top
of the steps.  I got to close to those steps with the forty eight inch cane.
Be open please.  None of us are know it alls. I was perfectly happy with my
outside cushion to my lawn furniture as a pad for my wheelchair.  The
physical therapist insisted on another pad.  I don't know when my but hurt
so much.  She insisted we would try another kind.  I went back to my outdoor
furniture pad and was fine.  Then she brought this heavenly pad.  I had no
idea my but was uncomfortable with the pad I liked.  So if I would have been
a stubborn   no it all, I would not have received the new pad.

I wish the NFB philosophy would emphasize with those rights come
responsibilities. Yes I have the right to insist I use my forty eight inch
cane, but am I being responsible to others to keep them and myself safe. I
have the right to not put a flag on my chair, but am I being responsible to
keep myself as visible as possible to a truck turning a corner. Yes I have
the right to not wear flashers when I walk down the road at night, but am I
being responsible to alert others I am coming.  Those headlights are not
just for the driver to see where they are going.  They also tell other
drivers and me they are nearby.

Sorry just wanted to correct myself, smile.  This little gal can get
opinionated, giggle.

Becky and guide dog Jake who says, I can out opinionate the goily, sly
smile.