[Blind-rollers] crafters

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Tue Apr 3 00:51:37 UTC 2012

NFB Krafters Division
Satisfy Your Artistic Flair or Make Some Extra Money
by Ramona Walhof

>From the former Editor: I can't count the times that I have spoken with a
newly blind person who laments the loss of crafting as an inevitable
consequence of blindness. I know that this does not have to be true, but,
except for knitting, I am not an arts-and-crafts person, so I can give
little hands-on advice or help. Ramona Walhof is a longtime Federation
leader who has always enjoyed sewing, knitting, and other handcrafts. In
the following article she describes the work of one of the NFB divisions
with which she is active. Some readers will be interested in becoming
members, but all of us should know about the Krafters' work so that we can
pass along the information to those who need to know about their work and
learn how to keep active with the crafts they love. This is what Ramona
says:

Although only three years old, the Krafters Division of the NFB is
probably the most active of the thirty NFB divisions. Federationists may
wish to know more about its activities, and some may wish to join.
President Joyce Kane from Connecticut has done crafts all her life.
She knits, crochets, makes clothing and quilts with her sewing machine,
does safety pin beading, and is interested in all sorts of other arts and
crafts. Joyce lost her vision fourteen years ago and began looking for and
creating techniques to do the things she had always enjoyed in order to
continue doing them without vision. She joined the Federation and was soon
elected to office in her chapter and state affiliate. She was president of
her chapter in southern Connecticut for eight years. Joyce made contact
with other blind crafters and found that most had experience and ideas to
share. Several years ago she contacted President Maurer about forming an
NFB division. He recommended she hold an organizing meeting at the 2008
convention.
Before that meeting Joyce had recruited officers and board members
from all over the country. Dr. Maurer asked me to help the group write its
constitution along the lines customarily followed by NFB divisions. I
didn't think I had time for one more activity but was elected to the board
and now serve as secretary. This division is different from others in which
I have been active, and it is a lot of fun.
By the time of the organizing meeting in 2008, Cindy Sheets of
Kentucky had agreed to develop a website: <www.KraftersKorner.org>. Laurie
Porter of Wisconsin and some others had agreed to teach classes by
conference telephone. Diane Filipe of Colorado brought handmade ceramic
Braille pins to sell at the 2009 convention as the first division
fundraiser. Before organizing, the group had already begun holding Monday
night chats by conference phone calls each week, and in 2012 these chats
continue.
The listserv, nfb-krafters-korner was established before the division
was organized. Today approximately 150 people are subscribed to this list,
and it is one of the most active of all the nfbnet lists now in operation.
>From 15 to 40 messages may appear on this list most days. Topics cover
crafts from quilting to pottery, from crocheting to weaving, from making
Christmas decorations to using the sewing machine. Some of the topics
discussed during December of 2011 were candy wreaths, blocking knitted
items, crafts that can be done one-handed for someone about to have surgery
on her shoulder, crocheted cupcakes, snowmen made on the knifty knitter
loom, gumdrop trees, sewing rags for rugs, and on and on. To join this
list, go to <www.nfbnet.org> and select the link entitled Join or Drop
NFBnet Mailing Lists.
President Kane is always eager to recruit volunteers to teach
classes. Frequently three or four classes are taught by conference phone
call each week. Some classes are complete in one hour, while others stretch
over three or four lessons, each lasting from one to two hours. During 2011
twenty-nine classes were offered and completed. Anywhere from three to
fifteen students can be in a class.
As usual Joyce was recruiting teachers and students last fall. After
some thought I realized there might be some interest in machine sewing, but
we had to find out whether members had access to sewing machines. It turned
out that some people did. They had to learn how to thread their machines
before the class began. We couldn't teach that by phone to people using a
variety of machines. Each student in that class now has a new apron. Both
Joyce and I were very pleased that we could explain the techniques by
phone, and the students were also happy. As you might guess, Joyce is
encouraging me to teach another class, this time on making T-shirts as a
means of teaching techniques used to sew knitted or stretchy fabrics.
On the listserv, problems are posed and answered by other crafters.
Members have learned new crafts and new methods. Newly blind people have
gained confidence and ideas for pursuing the craft activities they wish to
master.
We have heard many stories of individuals who have conquered fears or
other problems. One member, Jewell Boll from Sheboygan, Wisconsin, sold her
sewing machine when she lost her sight and is now excited about taking up
sewing again. She wants to tell those who are newly blind not to become
angry and frustrated. She says that, if she had been in touch with more
blind people when she became blind, she would have done things differently.
She is looking for a machine to purchase and has sought opinions on the
listserv about various models.
Another member, Lynda Lambert from Pennsylvania, was a painter and
was depressed and angry when she became blind about four years ago, but she
is now enthusiastically producing large and beautiful pottery and beaded
items. She held an art show displaying her work last fall and received
compliments from those who visited. She also sold several pieces at
satisfactory prices. You may wish to check out her website,
<http://lyndalambert.com>. Lynda has a lot of ideas, and she entertains
other listers as she shares her experiences. She says an artist just can't
stop being an artist, even when she has to turn to a different art. Her
standards are high, and that will not change. Lynda also knits and does
other arts and crafts.
Another painter who lost her vision continued to knit dish cloths
while recovering from her surgery, but this was not enough of an outlet for
her love of art. After some training at BLIND, Incorporated, in Minnesota,
Jeanny Nylander returned home to Lacrosse to find that her husband had
bought her a potter's wheel. She had taken pottery in college and enjoyed
it. She contacted Joyce Kane and Lynda Lambert through the Krafters
Division, and pottery has become her new art. She is again making and
selling art. Both Lynda and Jeanny are extremely complimentary about the
opportunities they have discovered from each other and from the division.
The two led a discussion about pottery for other crafters and taught a
class in January of 2012 by conference call. They are planning to teach
other classes in coming months. Both say that artists have a need to share
ideas and techniques.
Another crafter, Jaselli Walter, uses clay that does not need to be
fired. She has led a Monday night chat about this, and members are eager to
learn more about what she does. Division members are encouraged to list
items they have made for sale on the first and the fifteenth of each month.
We have plans to make sales opportunities available on the website as soon
as possible. The group also makes items for charities.
Becky Frankeberger from Washington State taught a Tunisian crochet
class in January and February, using an email list. Becky is a machine
knitter and has gone into business selling items she has made. See her work
at <www.butterflyknitting.com>. A write-up on her and her work appears on
<www.KraftersKorner.org>.
Representatives from a group of blind quilters have joined the list,
and I am sure we will learn more from them.
Division dues are ten dollars per year and may be paid directly to
the treasurer, Diane Filipe, 1455 44th Avenue Place, Greeley, Colorado
80634, or pay using PayPal on the website, <www.KraftersKorner.org>.
Classes are free to members, and they are described ahead of time on the
website. Anyone who has questions or suggestions should contact President
Joyce Kane at (203) 378-8928 or email her at <blindhands at aol.com>. All
those interested in arts and crafts should come to the division meeting at
the convention in Dallas this summer. I believe we will also have a display
and sale of handmade items Saturday afternoon, the day before the exhibit
room opens. Please check your agenda for times and locations. Plans are
moving forward for a busy week. If anyone has requests, don't be shy. We
can't guarantee to do everything you can dream up, but anything could
happen.

Becky Frankeberger
Butterfly Knitting

Custom-made knit throws, shawls, and more!

Phone: 360-426-8389
E-mail: becky at ButterflyKnitting.com
Website: www.ButterflyKnitting.com