[Blind-rollers] Introduction

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 18 01:12:50 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
I'm Bibi and live in Denver, Colorado with my husband Dale and a retired guide dog from Pilot Dogs who is now a medical alert service dog.
He's an almost nine year-old hybrid German black lab named Odie and he's definitely apart of our family.
I found out about the Blind Rollers list through the NFB's NFBnet mailing listserv, but recently decided to give it a go ahead and join.
I'm totally blind and for a year now, I've been dealing with convulsive grandmal seizures that do leave me feeling paralysis for a few days after the seizures have happened.
Since that has been occuring a lot more, I've realized that there would be a chance of me having to utilize a power wheelchair to get around so I wouldn't have to depend on my husband to travel with me everywhere and when I do need to go out to do things.
On top of the convulsive grandmal seizures, I also deal with arthritis on a daily basis, so the chair would come in handy during them rough times.
One challenge I'm facing is that the wheelchair specialtist doctor is very hesitant on prescribing me with a power chair due to the part of me being totally blind and he feels that I'd end up getting injured.
If an injury were to happen, he then told me that he'd probably be held reliable.
He asked if I could go through an agency where I'd be able to get some training while having to be in the power chair.
Am not sure how much further things will go with the Vocational rehabilitation here in denver, Colorado as I haven't heard or received anything from my counselor yet as I was originally supposed to be there for a refresher course on orientation and mobility.
I'm interested in hearing from others and their experiences on how those who are gblind and that do use wheelchairs do things on a daily basis to keep their independence.
I'm appreciative of my husband's will to keep supporting me and that feeling of wanting to be there with me, but there's a time where he may not be able to be with me continuously.
As far as the wheelchair thing, Dale will be going with me to the clenic on May 15 next month and my hopes are with your permission I can share some information to the doctor about the Blind Rollers list.
Figured I've said what I needed to, so will end right here.
*Smiles*
orleans24 at comcast.net
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie
medical alert service dog