[Blind-rollers] my power chair

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 02:04:57 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
I figured to update on how everything is going.
I have been doing some practicing with my power chair indoors and actually went outside today, but as far as the ramp to our apartment complex.
The type of power wheelchair I have is the Quanto610, a new model which was released either this year or last, more likely this year.
Total amount of wheels it has are six: four small and two large.
The larger ones are in the middle while two small ones are in the way back and last small pair up front.
I'll admit that the joystick is still sensitive, but I'm sure with more practice, adjustments will be made much easier.
The seat which my back rests upon does adjust with the use of a lever and if need be, it can fold down to the bottom seat that I sit on.
Nice thing with the motor I have on my chair is that when I move joystick, it will click which I like.
As for the approximatey sensors, I'll more likely have to purchase that on my own since the wouldn't be covered by my insurance anyway.
To me, it isn't a big deal though as my husband Dale is willing to give me guidance and assistance.
Now for the challenging part...
When I had contacted my father to ask him for some suggestions on what type of portable ramp I would need that I could use to roll down the stairs up to the lanes in the bowling alley, then turn the ramp around for easy access on to the lanes so I can bowl, he ended up being very unkind to me.
In his words, he told me it isn't possible that I could do bowling while having to sit in my power chair, despite that Crown Lanes provides ramps which the bowling ball sits on and then individual gives it a push to the ball rolls off.
He feels that the bowling alley should already be providing that stuff anyway.
He was also telling me that with me having a power chair, there's no way I can do anywhere or it be transfored.
I informed him that the public city buses do have wheelchair lifts and I can use Accessaride.
Boy!!! I went into melt down later on after I had returned back up to my apartment.
Well... Since my parents aren't willing to understand or except that I have other medical things now which limit to what I can do, happily, my husband Dale is supportive and if need be, he'll continue to help me through the process and if need be, he'll be the one to purchase a fold up portable ramp for me.
As for my father, I almost wanted to have a hollering match with him as to say, "Well, then get your behind down to the bowling alley and see for yourself that those who are wheelchair bound are able to do bowling just like others!"
I'm sure my step mom will get on his camse by giving him a piece of her mind.
She's done it before and it wouldn't surprise me if she has to again.
Guess I'll have to do another step in my homework.
I'll have to see if there's a group for wheelchair users in the Denver area I can connect with.
I did contac Crown Lanes and let them know about my chair adn asked if it would be a problem if it were on the bowling lanes.
They told me there wouldn't be an issue and if need be, they'd happily help lift me and my power chair down the stairs.
Dale and I are looking into a portable ramp which folds up like a suitcase so I can have it with me at the alley, setit up so I can roll down the stairs on to the floor where the lanes are.
I'd be able to turn it around and line it up with the step of the lane so I can easily roll on to it as well.
I still have a lot ahead of me, but won't give up that easily as my husband Dale won't allow it to happen.
Bibi, husband Dale and the wonderful son Odie