[Blind-rollers] day of heck

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 4 15:03:34 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
Yesterday was the day of heck.
I'll admit that traveling in my power chair wasn't an easy task as it was really windy down here.
As I tried to back up on to the lift on the bus, the wind began to pull at my chair.
I ended up asking the bus driver if he wouldn't mind assisting me pull my chair on to the lift and he didn't mind doing so.
Dale and Odie were along with me as I needed to make a trip out to Wal-Mart for my meds.
We eventually did get there and I ended up having to wait thirty minutes as a couple of my meds weren't filled.
Dale, Odie and I left the pharmacy area for a while and I with Odie was left to wait near the entrance of the store while Dale went to customer service to ask for a roll of quarters.
Dale then came back to pick Odie and I up so we could go back inside the store.
I decided to make a quick trip to the ladies' room.
While I happened to be in the wheelchair stall and despite that I made sure the door was locked behind me, a mother and her child came over and some how the door was unlocked.
Wasn't sure if the kid crawled under the door to unlock it or not, but I had a weak feeling the mother somhow may have been able to slip her fingers between the wall and door to slide the lock.
On my way out, I noticed the stall door back in its position and begn to back up on my power chair so I could find my cane.
Of course, the lady with the kid didn't listen to me anyway when I tried to explain that I was trying to find my cane.
Boy!!! That led me to the feeling of anger and frustration.
I immediately did report the incident to a store manager and he said he'd deal with the problem.
I guess only thing that would happen is a note being up in the bathrooms, asking people to be considerate.
Finally, Dale, Odie and I made it back to the pharmacy and I was given my meds.
Now to fast forward to the light rail station.
While I was rolling down the ramp, my folding cane managed to get stuck in between the concreete wall and railing.
Sadly, the last piece broke in half and I did my best to do what I could to listen to dale's directions while folding up my useless Ambutech folding cane.
Of course, it's not all that bad news.
I happened to have an extra folding cane at home in which my Grandma Jean gave me for Christmas nine years ago.
I don't use the WCIB (White Cane Industries for the Blind) cane too much as I had a few of those break on me in the past, mainly the joints.
By the time we all arrived home, I crawled into my pajamas and went to sleep on the bed.
Thankfully, no traveling today, but will do some tomorrow for my O&M lesson.
Although using a power chair does have its challenges, I'm one who doesn't plan to give up that easily.
I'm sticking with it.
*Smiles*
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie
the happy spirited bounty labrawolf