[Blind-rollers] outdoor adventure in my power chair

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 19 04:22:57 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
This evening, I asked my husband Dale to come along with me to the library so I could return a couple of Adventure In Odyssey audio books.
I wound up having a seizure yesterday as the fire alarm went off in our apartment complex for twenty minutes.
I was actually in a deep sleep when it happened.
I was also hurting today, so it was necessary for me to use my power chair so I could get to the library by bus.
I'll admit that despite I'm getting good practice inside the building here, I definitely need to update my DVR (Denver Vocational Rehabilitation) file in the hopes my doctor can get me cleared for O&M.
yes, it was tricking getting on and off the bus, especially the 5000 series where the bus has a ramp that slides out and it can also lower toward the ground.
I still have to get used to sitting down and doing things differently than what I was used to while standing up.
At one point, my husband suggested I speed up my chair some when I'd have to cross over alleys and streets.
We came back on the route52 bus and I asked the driver if he wouldn't mind securing my chair to be on the safe side.
I honestly told him I didn't feel like experiencing being thrown or sliding forward.
When I was on the route9 bus on the way to the library, I decided to try and secure myself which definitely slowed things down.
Therefore, I felt it was better off to ask the driver to do the securing when I was coming back.
Once we disembarked the bus, my power chair and I along with my husband Dale, we started to head away from the bus stop.
I suddenly had to stop and turn the power off on my chair as the fire truck began to pull out of the station on to Lawrence Street.
I can admit I wasn't too happy with that sudden quick reaction as I didn't have too much time to react of where I could have turned my head away from red and blue lights that were going at the same  time the siren was starting up.
My left eye sure didn't feel so great after feeling the red and blue glares.
I jokenly told my husband Dale that I'd have to take Odie with me and go over to our firemen friends so I could tease and torture them which I always do anyway.
They always know when I'm giving them a hard time.
Since Dale was the one who gave me the suggestion of speeding up my chair to move faster across the street, he said it made him run, having to keep up with me.
When we got to Larimer street, he repeated the same thing.
I told him that he was at fault for suggesting I speed up my chair to move faster across the street and alleys when it came to trafic.
Soon, next challenge with my power chair will be on the bus again, the RTD (Regional Transportation District) light rail commutor train and another bus.
I do hope to come across the 2000 series buses when I do make my trip down to DVR in the beginning of October since those have an actual lift that I would have to back up on to.
Will let everyone know how all of that goes.
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie