[Blind-rollers] Totally blind power chair users

Jordana Engebretsen JEngebretsen at KPBSD.k12.ak.us
Tue May 21 17:02:19 UTC 2013

Thanks for your words of encouragement.  I know that, I just need to do it!
Thanks,
Jordana

-----Original Message-----
From: Blind-rollers [mailto:blind-rollers-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:22 AM
To: Blind wheelchair users list
Subject: Re: [Blind-rollers] Totally blind power chair users

hi, Jordana,
I can understand the feeling of being a little hesitant.
Ifelt the same way in the beginning, but the more I practiced operating my power chair and using my white cane, I felt encouraged to do it more.
Yes, I've had my power chair go completely off the sidewalks many time and I just keep calm so I can safely get to a curb cut or ramp close by and get out of the street quickly.
I'll be honest that I've heard plenty of sighted individuals panic when it's happened, but I have to reassure them that I'm fine and things like this are going to happen.
The more you practice, you'll come a long ways and build up the courage.
Sincerely:
Bibi and son Odie