[Blind-rollers] Power Wheelchairs and Blind People

Maureen Pranghofer maureensmusic at comcast.net
Mon Oct 24 02:20:48 UTC 2016

Hi Joshua
I have been using a power wheelchair since the mid 1990's.  I am also
totally blind.  I can't imagine life without it.  For me a mannual chair
would be most difficult because I have difficulty pushing it.  I handle the
joy stick with my right hand and hold and use the white cane with my left
hand.  My chair does have attendant control on the back so a sighted helper
can drive it.  I also use a service dog, he's brand new and wonderful.  He
doesn't do any guiding but picks things up for me, helps me off wit me coat
and carries things.  It is especially having him because he picks up my cane
which drops frequently.
Maureen