[Blind-rollers] Inquiry about service dog and electric wheelchair

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 19:37:35 UTC 2016

Leanne, Jake came from the Seeing eye. I gather, but don't know some schools
like the Seeing Eye will train a dog to guide a power chair for their grads.

Seven years ago I had a terrible accident where I smashed my ankle. The
doctor told me much later, he had no idea if I would ever walk again. I just
got golden retriever Jake from the Seeing Eye. So I made myself not feel
stuck in my wheelchair. In fact as I prayed, I felt strongly to see the
chair as my "joy wheels. I could do more in the manual chair then on
crutches or try hopping with a walker. So it was a hassle, but I did a lot
in my "joy wheels." We went to Seattle, and Disney World, shopping trips. I
made my husband meet me across the store at the other door. Joy wheels and
my cane took me across the store avoiding many people in our way to meet
him. All those little things I did on my own really increased my confidence.
In my case though, I had one good foot to help push the chair, so I could
have a free hand to use my cane.

Waiting for my husband to finish shopping, I felt like a door stop. So I
shook myself and my husband learned to talk so I could follow him in my
manual chair. One thing I noticed was Jake started guiding my chair. So I
took his harness told him to steady and I followed him. We worked out
smaller spaces and larger spaces also. I just worked him in stores as he
naturally pulls and he shouldn't pull. So the floor would make it easier for
him if he did tug to hard.

I also have hearing loss, so me following my husband only worked to a point.
He would tell me left or right, meaning him turning. I got pretty good at
keeping a straight line. Hey I followed my dog, smile.

I was born with a bone disorder. I have very fragile bone. In fact I just
got done with a research study conducted by the National Health something
which funded the study. Hey I even had coffee and my brain is stuck in
neutral. They are following us over five years of the funding, but will
apply for more study years. So I hear you fully about being afraid and
breaking easily.

Becky and the fluffy flying fur ball, ims a real smart dog, Aunt Leanne,
toothy grin. Love Jake