[Blind-rollers] Anyone else having trouble with non-ADA-compliant entrances?

Starry Sky Starry_sky at live.com
Fri Mar 15 16:25:35 UTC 2019

Reaching out to see if anyone is willing to go "on the record" about some of the struggles with navigating around Chicago with a white cane or in a wheelchair?  I am hoping to emphasize some of the challenges that people with disabilities (visible and "invisible") have in accessing buildings with ADA compliant entrances but refuse to allow open access to them and/or buildings/businesses without accessible entrances.

A little background - I was trying to hire this attorney for some legal work but his firm is in a building that requires people to request and be approved each time to use the non-revolving doors.  I spent over 10 minutes trying to get into that building for the meeting.  They have since provided a range of excuses from poor quality door that break down to security issues to require escort.  This felt like the first test of my new business venture (developing products for use by people with disabilities).  I decided to stand by my principles and have made the building's ADA compliance mandatory for his firm to work for me.  They are now "working on it".

This got me thinking about all other times encountering similar scenarios and I am sure others have as well.  I don't have the luxury of tenant leverage in other situations so considering a different approach.  Is anyone else in Chicago willing to demonstrate on film?  Please contact me directly and I can provide more information.

Maybe together we can make a difference~