[Blind-Rollers] A friend in need of a wheelchair who is told no because she is blind

Jane Lansaw lansaw at icloud.com
Tue Feb 22 01:14:08 UTC 2022

Sorry but right now my only reliable guidance system is the white came. Yes, you could totally use it with a wheelchair or scooter or walker.  I meant to answer somebody else’s post earlier about cane  and Walker. Yes, the Walker detect obstacles and will keep you safe but if you are putting all of your weight on the walker, You could hurt yourself on a curb or wheelchair ramp. People who can balance themselves and push the walker forward without putting all their weight on it will be fine without a cane. But most people who need a walker need it for balance. Sam people need a walker to put all of her weight on that walker to stay upright. In that event, you can’t use the walker to detect a drop off or a slant that doesn’t go the way you expect. That is what the cane  can do.

I’m still looking for good guidance systems.  I’ve had students in the past with disabilities in their hands that kept him from using a white cane properly. If I could find something to help them, I would be all over it.  I keep telling people that you have a rumba vacuum can clean the edge of a flight of stairs without going over, I don’t know why we can’t do that with a wheelchair.

Jane Lansaw NOMC
Tulsa

Sent from my iPhone