[Blind-Rollers] Potential Benefits of Super Lidar for Blind Rollers

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Mon Feb 28 20:34:55 UTC 2022

All,

Again, as full disclosure, I am a member of this list because of my occasional role as Dave Andrews' backup, so I am not expressing an opinion as to what works best for people using wheelchairs.  However, this discussion has gone beyond that point, so I would like to add a couple of points.

While I am one who believes that we are sometimes expected as blind people to volunteer time and effort for which others  are paid, the concept of soliciting information from a customer base without compensation is hardly limited to those of us with disabilities.  Every time I purchase from Amazon, I am asked to rate my satisfaction.  Google solicits feedback on search results.  Every time I ask for help from Google or Microsoft I am asked if the article was helpful.  If I say "no," I am expected to take my time to explain to them what they really should already know.  I could be part of Microsoft's Windows Insider program and help them work out bugs in a new version of Windows.  To my knowledge, the only compensation for that is knowing I might have helped in a small way make their product better for myself and others in the future.  Uber and LYFT ask me to rate their drivers after every single ride.  Whild doing any of this theoretically benefits me to some degree, it is really information requested by the company for their use with no compensation coming back to me.

Shane has been responsive to questions on a number of NFBNET lists and I am sure others as well.  Over time, we will see how his products evolve and how his company does, but I am not one who would question his sincerity.  I think each of us has to decide where we are going to put our time and how we feel about having input into new products.  I think, though, that we need to be careful applying reimbursement criteria to a small company for disabled persons that the big guys don't follow for the general population.  This is an individual decision.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson