[blindkid] new parents with some questions

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Mon Dec 1 16:06:01 UTC 2008

As far as the toy issue, we adopted twins at 3 years of age from China.
Neither knew the first thing about toys.  It took Paul about two weeks to
discover the toy box but all he'd do was throw them out and the was the end.
We have all toys that make sounds so when he discovered he could make them
do something, he started sittind down with them.  It took over a month for
him to work through that.  Jesse, on the other hand, would just throw the
toys away so we put him in a carseat box with nonelectronic toys that made
sounds.  In fact, that box was the only place he was happy for about two
months.  He still doesn't really play with them as much as self-stim with
them--chewing, licking, etc.
Paul was affectionate from day one but Jesse took lots of encouraging.
And I'm so glad you made it back before all that hullabaloo.  Were you even
in Mumbai?
Barbara