[blindkid] storage solutions

Kathy - Arizona kah-az at cox.net
Wed Dec 3 22:10:28 UTC 2008

Hi Debby!

Well, considering my daughter's been in some VERY tight quarters (with
roommates) in college, I feel there have been some times when she's had to
live in a cubicle-sized space - and then find things - organized enough that
she could find them in college chaos.

I do agree with the idea of the loft-bed.  Most college kids have them.
Also, I've learned that if you run out of floor space, you go "up".  I can't
tell you the ceiling and around the room storage we've developed - some of
which had to be temporary (in the dorms).  Kids love the idea of being "up"
to sleep (can use a railing around if necessary, and a sturdy ladder for
climbing up).  Hanging or building boxes/up and around a wall holds things
she might not use every day (already read books, etc.).  Cubbies close to
the top of her bed - can be reached while she's up there.  Of course, she
might need help getting to the taller box-cubes, but you can come on down a
wall with lots of different sized shapes.  Underneath, you almost have a
completely other room.  We had room for a futon, refrigerator, storage for
food/books/etc. - so this can be quite adaptable to her needs. A small
desk/chair for studies? Computer?  Another great idea is to build a ledge
(with a small back to keep things from falling off) around the end of one
side of her loft, and then the long side of her loft to place little things
like an alarm clock, trinkets, audible things, BrailleNote, cell phone,
regular phone, a cup for water or any night-time things she might want to
grab....even her favorite stuffed toy!  These 2 ledges are great..even for a
lulling music box.  You can tack strings of lights along the ledge to make
it look snazzy - maybe not to Winona, but her sighted siblings or friends
will think it's "cool"......maybe some hanging speakers, and a hook to hold
her headphones?

You'd be surprised what all you can cram into a small space- all in the area
of a loft space - esp. when you built UP instead of out!  The bed ladder, as
long as it's sturdy & secure, is an adventure within itself!  She'll love
it!  And yes, the kids can learn to make a bed up there just as they can
from below.  If you try this, let us know how it all turns out!  I prefer
building a WOODEN one & sanding it well.  You can then paint it colorful, or
put fuzzy material around it (tactile), but you can then also hammer hooks
for towels into it, or anything else she might like to hang (maybe
necklaces, backpacks, purses, scarves, ANYTHING!)  I know my hubby bought
wood, kept to the specifications of the dorm room & he and her roommate's
father knocked off 2 of them for their room in the first day we took her to
college!  All the fathers were making them!  The girls loved them!  We even
bought some of those plastic long beads to hang down on part of it so it
looked kinda funky (like see-through curtains), and it kind of kept one area
underneath a little bit more private!  Another idea is to buy some stackable
plastic drawer-bins (sometimes on rollers, too) to either fill on the floor
or sit on top of an already there bookcase or dresser.  Remember, up not
out!

Lots of luck - I know you'll have fun & let her help with the ideas!  Yes,
it's a project, but with a little help and ingenuity, anything's possible!

Hugs!

Kathy-Az