[blindkid] storage solutions

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 00:58:20 UTC 2008

Dear Debby-

Many times, many times, she is without a book for this reason? I know things
have been ridiculous, and this tops the cake...this is unacceptable.

Winona is in middle school. Jordan had a resource room that was some
distance, if he needed a volume change he had a permanent hall pass (or
needed to print something from his BrailleNote) to go to the resource room.
He was always very responsible and used his time wisely. I think Winona has
the same kind of character.

Another thing that has been done (the resource room is only so big)is to
have a rolling book cart in a room with the whole book in there, one in
math, one in science, one in social, etc. This has worked really well. (All
these things were/are in his IEP (his IEP accommodations are ridiculous like
six pages-but IF IT IS NOT WRITTEN down-it always failed somewhere-smile)

It helps develop responsibility too, like anyone else if he forgot a volume
or his book then he was stuck or needed to call a classmate. It was also his
responsibility to keep aware of what was coming next, which volume he might
need. This has really helped his ability to self organize and plan ahead.

"Plan Ahead" and "Flexibility" are two essentials blind people can't be
caught without...they are good for everyone, but really important for the
blind student or employee to succeed.

I am sad to say I think we had a high of 30 and that may be the warmest air
we see this week. I'll be there shortly.smile. 45? Don't make me laugh. Even
my garage door has been frozen for two days. Why do things always break just
when you are about to spend Christmas money? Smile..

Carrie Gilmer, President

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind

NFB National Center: 410-659-9314

Home Phone: 763-784-8590

carrie.gilmer at gmail.com

www.nfb.org/nopbc