[blindkid] Narrated DVD's

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:49:26 UTC 2008

Hi Penny!
Welcome to the list and our "family". We are glad you have found us.
Rather than narration, are you meaning audio description? I have posted on
this before, I will search for my links for educational audio described
dvd's and post again. The entertainment DVD's are pretty rare-as are the
VHS. It has been pretty much up to the filmmakers to do it, and they almost
always don't. Things for that from a legal/legislative push have been in the
works and under discussion for awhile too. But a few non-profits have formed
and received grants from the Dept. of Education (and maybe NSF too?--can't
recall right now) to describe educational video and some PBS programs for
children and students. One of the big non-profits out of Boston has lost
funding for it, but another continues and is growing.

Sending what I have soon...

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc