[blindkid] storage solutions

Kim Cunningham kim at gulfimagesphoto.com
Sat Dec 6 13:43:04 UTC 2008

I wanted to offer our solution to the "storage issue" as we have a very small home also. My daughter had a small closet in her room with bi-fold doors that opened to a hanging rod and one shelf above the rod. The doors were very restrictive to get things in and out of the closet, especially in the areas where the drywall surrounded the opening of the closet. Our solution was to use a jigsaw and cut the drywall out, opening the entire closet with no door. We cut out the entire opening of the closet from top to bottom. We then used MDF board or plywood to make one large top shelf (from the back to the front of the closet. Not a "quarter shelf that was previously installed). This shelve will allow for four sets of 2 clear plastic tubs to be stored on them. Then we split the bottom part into three sections by cutting sheets of MDF again and nailing them in a horizontal position. One section is for hanging dressess and coats (anything long), one section
 with two hanging rods (one above the other) for shirts and pants, and the third section we nailed thin strips of wood to make drawer guides for the vaious height plastic tubs - applied drawer pulls to them and "voila" a much more accessible closet. We also attached a shower curtain and rod on the clothing portion of the closet for neatness. I can supply a picture if my description isn't clear.
Another great storage solution is a tool box. I'm talking about the kind with wheels and has various depth drawers. We inherited a new one and I found the drawers perfect for storing many items in a non-cluttered way. Some of the drawers are deep, some thin. Plus it can be moved around as needed. You can make braille labels for items in each drawer.
My husband also made a loft bed for my daughter that she will carry to college with her. It is made of 2x4's and extremely sturdy. There are many free plans online to make your own bed.
I hope that some of our ideas can help!
Kim Cunningham
TPOBC