[blindkid] School placement question

Dr. Joseph Taboada jtaboada at vetmed.lsu.edu
Fri Dec 12 14:53:40 UTC 2008

Stephanie,

While I think it is obvious that the law leans toward inclusion in
neighborhood schools where ever possible I am not sure that that usually
results in the best situation for the child.  School systems that are small
and not well equipped to deal with a blind child's educational needs are
ironically perhaps best able to meet the needs in the neighborhood school
because they don't have the resources or caseload to have developed a
focused program.  However, if a school system has worked to develop a
program to meet the needs of a small but ongoing population of blind
children it will usually be concentrated in one school and I believe is not
able to be duplicated in the local classroom with equal effectiveness.  We
went through the same concerns and soul searching with Michael when he was
in pre-K, K, and elementary school.  He had to be bused to the other side of
the parish; a trip that took hours on the bus and required a transfer to a
second bus each day. We had our concerns about the transportation issues,
the fact that he would be in a self contained classroom, the social
implications, etc. but decided that the immersion in Braille, O&M, and other
skills of blindness in a setting where his sighted peers were still part of
the school with teachers who were well trained in the needs and educational
objectives of blind children and a principal that valued the inclusion of
blind children in her school was worth the trade-offs.  In looking back we
made the absolutely correct decision in not fighting the system for our
right to get services in the local neighborhood school. Michael could not
have gotten better services during his elementary school years. I don’t
think I can say the same for the EBR parish parents who choose to exert
their right to have their children in their local school.

Ironically, once Michael's services switched to the schools that he was to
be mainstreamed into for middle and high school everything has fallen apart.
If he didn't have the strong foundation developed in the resource room in
elementary school he would really be in an untenable situation right now.

I recognize that this is not the most widely held opinion but I feel
strongly that at times the school systems are making the best decisions when
they set up these type of focused programs.

Just one opinion from someone who has been there.

Joe

 ,-._.-,
 \/)"(\/
 (_0_)
 /\--/\
(_'^'_)
  /\_/\
( o   o )
 > * <
 _ / /
/// o\
/// \_ \
//// (_|

Joseph Taboada, DVM, Dipl. ACVIM
Professor; Small Animal Internal Medicine and
Associate Dean for Student and Academic Affairs
School of Veterinary Medicine
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA  70803-8410

225 578-9537 (phone)