[blindkid] School placement question

Kasondra Payne Kassyp36 at msn.com
Sat Dec 13 19:48:28 UTC 2008

Joe,

I absolutely agree with you.  I was bussed to a larger school district when
I was in elementary school, so that I could be in a resource room with
teachers who knew and could teach me the specialized skills I needed.  My
parents brought me back into the local school district when I was in the
sixth grade, and I became the first blind student to graduate from that
district.  I gained much out of these experiences, and my knowledge colored
my decisions when I decided to send Andrew to the school for the blind.
There wasn't that kind of resource room program close enough to us that
would take him.  He wasn't ready for conventional kindergarten because of
his other disability, and he needed concentrated training in Braille, cane
travel, and other skills.  He loves school, and he is doing very well
learning.  Last week, he showed me that he could Braille the numbers from 1
to 30 and recognize them.  This is just one little step, but it is a step in
the right direction.  Stephanie and anyone else, good luck with your
decisions about placement for your children.

Kasondra Payne