[blindkid] Special child

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Dec 14 15:23:24 UTC 2008

Melissa:

I suspect that the story you and Jan tell strikes a chord with many of the blind persons lurking (albeit not always so quietly) on this list. It certainly does with me.

I started out in regular nursery school, kindergarten and first grade public schools in Portland, Oregon. I was pretty-much integrated with the other students and did everything they did until I was in first grade. Even here, I was not treated special for the most part. But there were a few times when my accomplishments were made much of. I, of course, did not realize the potential harm in this until much later. Fortunately, it didn't go overboard. I write this only because it serves to point out a possibly negative aspect of something that TVI's and parents are often praised for: putting braille on everything and the rendering of cartoon characters in paper mache so I could feel them. For instance, when my classmates drew or had pictures of Spot and Muff (Dick and Jane's dog and cat) on the bulletin board with sayings coming out of their mouths, I had three-dimensional paper mache versions of them on the board with the same thing coming out of their mouths in braille. And no
  one thought twice about it. Insofar as I am aware, there was no great consulting team; the first grade teacher did it because she had imagination and thought it a good idea. She had common sense. As I recall, I did most of the brailling for the sayings and the TVI may have done a bit of it. I was taken out of class for a period or so for braille instruction from the TVI. Incidentally, there were only two (yes, two), for all of Portland. This was before the program for the blind kids was ramped up because of the RLF/ROP wave of the 1940's and 1950's.

I write this merely to point out that even something like this that one would think would raise awareness of blindness and integrate the blind child can give him or her attention that may or may not be appropriate. I'm not saying this sort of thing shouldn't be done; I merely point out that even good, imaginative ideas can have their down sides.

Then we moved to Vancouver, Washington, and I attended the Washington State School for the Blind (WSSB). Back then, it was a rather cruel, David Copperfield sort of place (it is no longer; it's one of the best schools in the country because of the work of NFB). I wasn't special there; I did learn invaluable skills including braille music (but not the use of the cane; canes weren't given to blind kids till they were teenagers back then). Nevertheless, we were paraded around to all the Lions conventions, giving concerts for them and for the state legislature. We just thought it a pain in the posterior back then but now I know it was to show us off and garner larger financial support and larger state appropriations.

And I know of a ham operator at the Missouri school for the blind who said that once per year, they had "Lions Night" when they'd operate the station while troops of Lions came through, marveling at the great thing they had done while the blind ham students were expected to show how greatful they were for the generosity of their benefactors who had donated the money to set up the station. Naturally, the kids hated it.

This sort of thing scars for life. If some of you parents wonder at the vehemence with which some of us write, just try to put yourselves in our places and imagine how you'd deal with these indignities which go unrecognized because they are perpretrated upon a minority (the blind) who are expected to be different (either especially gifted or absolutely clueless by virtue of their blindness) and all done not in the name of cruelty or hatred, but, rather, with kindness and the best of intentions. I could go on but you get the point.

Mike Freeman, President
NFB of Washington