[blindkid] special child

Jan Wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 01:12:45 UTC 2008

Mike,
Amen!
I know that our experiences have shaped who we are and how we view things.
Because people are admittedly doing more work to make things accessible
and
because sometimes it might take the blind student a bit longer to master a certain task
and
because more money might be involved in education:
these attitudes are quite prevalent within society.
Yet, it is difficult to strike a balance.
I have been to a college that ignored my blindness. There were no disability services and I had to consult with each teacher about how to get my tests read to me and done.
There were no brailling facilities.
Some teachers were great about putting the test on cassette.
Sometimes I brailled the answers and read them into a tape or to a proctor.
Note: Their computers (and technicians) were a bit resistent to accessibility also.
 I did not want to be ignored.
Yet, the more noise I made, the more "amazing" it was and the more money or help that they gave, the more they wanted to be recognized for that help.
I went to university in a small town.
But, I will tell you that small private colleges do have accessibility issues.
What I am saying is that when schools and others have to make certain things accessible, they (most often) either view it as a burden or a favor.
And, they expect you (as the blind child) to respond acordingly.
Jan and family

"Bonds of the Heart should never be broken!"
"Dil kay rishton kay bandhan kabhi naheen tootnay chahiay hain!" -- Urdu translation