[blindkid] Things to include in a 1st grader's IEP

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Mon Dec 15 19:51:53 UTC 2008

Hi Stephanie,

A few suggestions:

         * Specialized skills that Kendra is learning probably belong
in her IEP as goals with objectives--braille, cane, access technology, etc.

         * Since Serena was on grade level academically and really
needed just the adaptations for blindness, we did as Carrie did--had
a general academic goal with a listing under it of the   tools and
techniques that needed to be employed in order to level the playing
field so that Serena could be successful in the
classroom.  Examples--brailler, braille printer, talking  calculator, etc.

         * I recommend writing an explicit goal of independence--I
have some wording recommendations in Making It Work, but it really
should be whatever would make sense for Kendra at  this time.  The
idea is to keep staff from overprotecting her and from acting on
assumptions that she would not be able to accomplish various tasks.

         * If you get your school district's curriculum for first
grade or any other documents regarding the kind of work they do in
first grade, you can go through it and see what
adaptations         might need to be made.

  Carol