[blindkid] Notetker and Digital player questions

Carlton Anne Cook Walker attorneywalker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 13:22:08 UTC 2008

Hi all,

DH and I are going to soon approach the school regarding a notetaker
for Anna Catherine.  I have two major questions:

First, which notetaker should we request?
We have already decided that a QWERTY keyboard would be better.  (Anna
Catherine has some vision and uses a laptop with a QWERTY keyboard
anyway.)
>From what I understand from the teens to whom I've spoken, Braillenote
is highly preferred over PacMate.  I understand that this is because
it is easier to use and the keystrokes more directly correspond with
computer-based commands.  Am I correct? Are there other reasons to
choose the BrailleNote over the PacMate?
Are there any other brands I should be looking at -- that have QWERTY
entry?  I have not been able to find any.
Also, can the notetaker be connected with a computer and serve as a
refreshable braille display?  (If yes, it might make it easier to
speed up the process of getting notetaker for Anna Catherine.  We're
realy hoping to have one by the end of the school year -- yes, our
District IS that slow -- so that she may explore it and become
comfortable with its use over the summer.)

Second, I am also interested in the Victor Reader Stream for Anna Catherine.
Can a notetaker be used as a Digital Reader?
Can Bookshare files be easily uploaded onto the Victor?

Thank you so very much for your help on these matters.

Wishing everyone a safe, joyful, and blessed holiday season,

Carlton

--
Carlton Anne Cook Walker
Anna's Mom