[blindkid] geometry

Patricia Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Wed Nov 5 01:11:31 UTC 2008

Hi Debby
Some ideas:
Susan Osterhaus' website at Texas School for the blind--Teaching math to
visually impaired students-- <http://www.tsbvi.edu/math/index.htm> has a ton
of information. She has suggestions for protractor (a little weird, but
Caroline has used it successfully); items from APH: Graphic Aid for
Mathematics - essential a thumbtack board, works pretty well; DRAFTSMAN
Tactile Drawing Board - enables student to make a raised line drawing -
works ok, not super precise rendition. I would think anything from APH
should be available to any public school student through your state's
resource center.

Geometric manipulatives are available from places like ETA/cuisinaire
<http://www.etacuisenaire.com>. Susan likes Geometro for 3-D geometry
supplies <http://www.geometro.net/>.

I would like to have access to a TIE or something like it, so that good
drawings could be produced by the teacher then a raised line drawing can be
made from that.

No one should ever be too proud to use wikki stix!

I would urge the TVI and/or the math teacher to call Susan Osterhaus to get
some suggestions.

And I'm taking notes too! I'd love to have a resource on a web page (Hint
hint) that we could turn to in anticipating these needs - not when the child
is struggling.

Good luck!
Pat
dblair2525 at msn.com