[blindkid] Sleep problems: our solution

Kieszak, Stephanie (CDC/CCEHIP/NCEH) sek7 at cdc.gov
Fri Nov 7 18:58:49 UTC 2008

I've been reading the posts about sleep issues and wanted to share what
has worked for us.  My 6 year old daughter has no light perception and
for the first 15 months of her life, her sleep schedule (or lack of a
schedule) made our lives miserable.  I finally found a pediatric sleep
disorders center.  They had us chart my daughter's sleep on a grid
before we saw the doctor.  It was very obvious once we saw it on the
page that my daughter's sleep time shifted back by half an hour to an
hour each night.  We did not want to use melatonin (and both the doctor
at the sleep disorders center and our pediatrician agreed).  We were
prescribed a light box exactly like the one shown here:
http://www.alaskanorthernlights.com/.  Each morning, we would put my
daughter in front of it for 30 minutes while she had breakfast (same
time each day).  Almost immediately, her sleep cycle normalized.  We
have only missed a hanfdul of days since she first started using it.
This was covered by our insurance.  I'd be happy to answer any questions
since I fully understand how sleep deprivation can make you feel.
Stephanie
president at gopbc.org